Disney internships offer new experiences mixed with fun

Disney is known as the happiest place on earth, making it fun for adventure seekers, children and workers.
Many college students search for internships that fit their future job title or just an experience that will help make them a better individual in the business market. Putting a big job experience such as Disney on a resume will make an employer more likely to hire you.
“Disney is a great experience, and it looks great on a resume,” said Director of Career Services Kristy Tauzin Goulas. “It looks so great on a resume because Disney teaches great customer service, and it shows that [students] have great customer service skills and hard-working values instilled in them.”
Disney is now accepting applications for students to attend the Fall and Fall Advantage program. The Fall program is from August till December, and the Fall Advantage program is from May to December. This gives students the opportunity to work at Disney through the summer to gain more experience.
To be eligible for application to the Disney Program, students must be  full or part-time students at least 18 years old.
Once students are accepted to work for Disney, a $300 fee is due, which covers a program assessment fee and a housing and administration fee.
When away at Disney for these four to six months, students do not just work everyday, but they also get to learn and enjoy a variety of events that Disney offers such as movie nights, welcome events, scavenger hunts, trips to local entertainment venues and talent shows. Student workers are also given food and entertainment discounts, which can help the workers enjoy what Disney has to offer, but at a cheaper price, according to cp.disneycareers.com.
Disney offers different education courses that students can take while they are working, but Nicholls does not acknowledge these credits. Some of Nicholls students take online classes, while some just take a semester off from school. If students choose to not take any classes while attending Disney, which Goulas recommends, TOPS will be notified and your schooling will be put on hold for a semester.
Even though Nicholls as a whole does not give students credit for attending Disney, some majors use the Disney Program as an internship credit.
“I am receiving three college credits,” said culinary arts junior Katie Hymel from Destrehan. “This counts as my internship. I decided to enjoy this semester and take a break from school. Disney does offer classes that many people take advantage of, and I know many people take online classes from their colleges back home.”
Hymel is currently in Disney World, where she works as a quick service food and beverage cast member at Disney’s Pop Century Resort.
Disney has many job opportunities for students such as operations management, lodging, food and beverage, retail, recreation and entertainment. Students can make anywhere from $7.93 to $11.75 an hour, depending on which job they are given.
“My experience at Disney as a cast member was just phenomenal,” said nursing sophomore Lindsay Gauthreaux from Plaquemine. “It was truly a life-changing experience. I have met some of the most amazing people from Europe to China. I now have friends all over the world, one of which will most likely be a bridesmaid in my wedding someday. I have met some of my best friends while being enrolled in the Disney College Program. My role in the Disney College Program was merchandising. My assigned location was in Tomorrowland Merchandise in Magic Kingdom, but I picked up shifts in the other Walt Disney parks as well, including Downtown Disney. Aside from working in my assigned location, I attended multiple character performance auditions, as well as an audition for The Disney Channel.”
While working for Disney, students stay at fully furnished housing complexes, which can fit up to eight people per apartment. Disney automatically takes between $89-$109 per week out of students’ checks to cover for the apartment, so students do not have to worry about a monthly fee. The different prices for the apartments depend on which apartment students stay at and how many roommates are sharing an apartment.
Students that are interested and meet the requirements can go to cp.disneycareers.com to apply. Once a student has applied, Disney will do a phone interview, and  if they pass the interview, a personal interview will be set up.