Sigma Alpha Epsilon bans pledging system nationwide

Members of the fraternity Sigma Alpha Epsilon celebrate as they welcome their new pledges at Bid Day last fall. Normally, the pledge process lasts several months before initiation. With the new changes, pledges will initiate within 96 hours of accepting a bid. SAE’s national Supreme Council made the change on March 9 in an attempt to prevent hazing.

Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity’s Supreme Council, their highest governing body, decided to eliminate the pledge program as of March 9, which will completely change the nature of their recruitment and new member process.
This drastic change has taken place in response to several hazing incidents regarding SAE chapters around the country in recent years. Due to these circumstances, the Supreme Council then made the decision to eliminate the pledge system altogether and make upcoming members, formerly regarded as pledges, initiate three days after accepting their bid.
Louisiana Chi, the SAE chapter at Nicholls, is trying to adjust to the change while maintaining their high national ranking since March 2005. Jordan Galjour, a marketing senior from Raceland, is the president of SAE at Nicholls and he has a positive outlook on the change.
“I look at this change as the first foot forward in revolutionizing Greek life,” Galjour said. “I also believe that the Louisiana Chi chapter at Nicholls will become a model for the rest of the chapters across the nation, which we have been since we first came on campus eight years ago.”
This new way of doing things will force SAE to be even more selective on who they give their bids to. According to Galjour, a bid from SAE at Nicholls carries a lot of weight with it since they have been one of the top five chapters in the nation for the past seven years.
 “We consistently have the highest GPA out of all fraternities, win almost every intramural championship and raise around $10,000 each year for Children’s Miracle Network,” Galjour said. “To maintain these high standards, we know that we must recruit the best men on campus and be critical of our choices in whom we extend a bid to.”
“We have always treated our pledges as equal brothers from day one,” Galjour said. “This strengthens our commitment to eliminating hazing from all SAE chapters.”
Harley Talbot, a freshman from Labadieville, is a newly-initiated member of SAE that was one of the first new members to be directly impacted by this change. Talbot was given a bid by SAE this spring and he initiated two weeks after accepting his bid.
“On one hand I feel like I missed out on some things by initiating so early,” Talbot said. “However, I feel that potential new members will fall in love with SAE like I did and they would not mind the early initiation.”
Other fraternities are concerned about this change of operations for SAE. In particular, Matt Hymel, a business management junior from Vacherie and the vice president of Kappa Sigma fraternity, understands the importance of the pledge period.
“This change is a tough blow for any fraternity because the pledge process is an integral part of educating new members about your fraternity,” Hymel said.  “It is also a great and imperative process where the prospective members learn to grow and cherish the respective fraternity.”
Tommy Ponson, director of Greek life, also has a positive outlook on the new bylaws set by SAE.
“I think every fraternity and sorority should look at their current systems and think of how to better it,” Ponson said. “Everyone is hesitant about change but sometimes it can be a good thing. On behalf of Nicholls and the office of Greek Life, I would like SAE to know that we will support Louisiana Chi in any way we can in transitioning through this change.”
Only time will tell how SAE is impacted by this new implementation when fall rush rolls around next semester, but Louisiana Chi is determined to uphold its national prominence.