Conference play begins for volleyball

Freshman setter Amy Whitehead attempts to set up a kill for right side junior Aaliyah Muhammad while junior middle hitter Kindra Halverson rushes to back up her teammates at the game against Southern Mississippi Sept. 13. The Volleyball team opens confere
Photo by: Kris Risinger

After going 6-9 during their non-conference schedule, the Lady Colonels started the “second season,” known as conference play, Friday by beating Southeastern 3-0. The Lady Colonels record of 7-9 overall and 1-0 in the Southland Conference is a vast improvement from last year’s record at this time, Head Volleyball Coach Chris Laird said. Last year the Lady Colonels did not have any wins on their record at the start of conference play and finished with one total win for the season.

“I think this team has really committed themselves to doing more in the off-season,” Laird said. “They bought into the system and really work hard. They deserve everything they get.”

So far, the Lady Colonels find themselves in third place in the Southland Conference East Division. The East Division consists of newcomer Central Arkansas, Northwestern St., Lamar, Southeastern Louisiana and McNeese St. Overall, the Lady Colonels’ winning percentage is sixth out of the 12 teams in the East and West conference divisions.

Now that conference play has officially begun, Laird said he believes this team has the potential to compete in the conference this year.

“I feel like we’re doing the right stuff,” Laird said. “It comes down to execution. I feel really good about our opportunities for progressing and making a successful campaign this year.”

In order for the Lady Colonels to be able to compete in the conference, Laird said it is important for the players to have perseverance and confidence, especially if they fall behind 2-0 early.

“We’ve got to believe we’re doing the right thing, which I know we are,” Laird said. “We can’t start a match and say ‘Oh, things aren’t going our way’ and just quit. We’ve got to stay with it the whole time.”

Laird said at times the Lady Colonels tend to fall behind early in the contest, which is something he hopes to improve upon.

“Sometimes we push ourselves into the corner and have to fight our way out; those are the conversations we have with each other practice to practice and game to game.”

In Friday’s Southland Conference opener against Southeastern, the Lady Colonels won 30-22, 30-19 and 31-29.

In the Southeastern press release, Laird stated he was pleased with his team’s performance.

“Everyone contributed tonight,” Laird said. “We came out strong, but we also did a great job finishing the match. I feel confident in how we are playing right now.”

In the opening game, senior middle hitter Atina Porter finished with a match high 19 kills as the Lady Colonels allowed the Lady Lions to get no closer than four points on their way to the eight point win.

In the second game, the Lady Colonels saw Southeastern get within two points, 17-15, before the Lady Colonels scored the next eight points to seal the second win of the match.

In game three of the best of five, the Lady Colonels fell behind 26-23, before rallying back and picking up the sweep.

Laird said besides Porter, he expects big things from several other Lady Colonels this season.

“I believe our setter, (freshman) Amy Whitehead, has a lot to do with our success,” Laird said. “(Junior) Kendra Halverson has done a phenomenal job. She was thrown into the middle position and has adapted well.”

Now that conference play has started, Laird said it is hard to say how the Lady Colonels match up against other teams in the Southland Conference because he has not seen all the teams yet.

“I feel like we have a very good shot of being in the conference tournament,” Laird said. “After that it’s any given Sunday. It’s really anybody’s ball game to get to that level.”

The Lady Colonels return to Southland Conference action tomorrow night when they travel to Conway, Arkansas to play Central Arkansas.