Campaign encourages college prep classes

The Student Government Association Senate and Student Educators and Leaders are participating in the “R U Ready?” campaign, which will involve on-site visits to local high schools to encourage students, primarily eighth-graders, to take college preparatory classes. Eighty-eight percent of Louisiana high school students plan on attending college; however, less than half are taking the required classes to get into college, according to the Louisiana Board of Regents.

The goal of “R U Ready?” is to raise that number by visiting schools and hosting a two-day event possibly beginning this spring, SGA President Olinda Ricard said. On the first day they will visit local middle and high schools, perform skits and give testimonials. On the second day they will promote college life by having high school students visit Nicholls.

Ricard said the overall message of the program is “We’re ready for you. Are you ready for us?”

The details of the program are still being worked upon, as well as finding a sponsor for the program, but the “R U Ready?” committee is hoping to get different members of the University’s student body involved, Ricard said. The objective is to get one member of the cheerleader squad, the band and a representative for the athletics department and the Greek organizations, SEALS President Johnathan Kerry said.

The program is hoping to involve local community child mentor organizations, such as Big Brothers and Big Sisters and Circle of Hope along with Upward Bound, Kerry said.

“Every aspect we can reach affects the state’s report card,” Kerry said.

Louisiana is at a D+ for the participation of students taking college prep classes, also known as core classes, Kerry said. High school students who desire to attend college will be better prepared for college level courses by taking core classes, and more students could become eligible for TOPS, Ricard said.

“The purpose is to increase awareness of the importance of Louisiana students’ taking the right courses in middle and high school and to encourage them to pursue a college degree,” Ricard said.

Nicholls’ involvement in the “R U Ready?” program helps promote and advertise the University as an attractive school to attend, Kerry said.

This program is important to high school students wishing to attend Nicholls because of the implementation of the selective admission standards, Ricard said.

“Students must be encouraged at an early age to think about college and what is required of them to attend college,” Ricard said.

Assistance in funding the program will be provided by a Service-Learning grant, Ricard said. The maximum time frame allowable is for three semesters.