Homecoming events scheduled for next week

The Colonels are going on safari next week for the Homecoming game against the Southeastern Louisiana University Lions, and many new and old traditions will be incorporated into the events open to faculty, staff, students, alumni and the community.
At noon on Monday, University President Stephen Hulbert and Mayor Charles Caillouet will kick off the week with “Paint the Town Red,” sponsored by the Nicholls Alumni Federation. The purpose of the event is to encourage support for the Colonels by painting businesses’ windows or posting signs outside businesses.
To get Thibodaux and the surrounding parishes more involved in the event, the alumni sent out post cards promoting the event and encouraged businesses to paint their windows in support of the Colonels, according to Debbie Raziano, Director of Alumni Affairs and University chairperson for Homecoming, said
A new tradition, the River Bell Bounty Food Drive is a competition between Nicholls and SELU that will last all week. Marquita Christy, Student Liaison for the Homecoming Committee, said everyone is encouraged to donate non-perishable food items and drop them off in the Bollinger Memorial Student Union. The winner will be announced at the Homecoming game on Oct. 7. The Student Government Association is sponsoring this event.
Another new tradition is the election of a Grand Marshall of Homecoming. The Grand Marshall’s purpose is to further promote Homecoming. This honor is given to the winner of the James Lynn Powell award, a prestigious award given in the spring to a Nicholls graduate. This year’s Grand Marshall is Cleveland Hill, retired Dean of the College of Education, Raziano said.
Some older traditions will return to Nicholls Homecoming events.
A tradition brought back from last year is the River Bell Classic, which is a rivalry between Nicholls and SELU. The winner of the football game receives a plaque with a bell on it until the next game. Nicholls currently holds the plaque in Barker Hall, Raziano said.
The mini Olympics, sponsored by Greek Life, will be held on Tuesday from 1:30 p.m. to 3 p.m. next to St. Thomas Aquinas Church.
Immediately following the mini Olympics will be the annual pirogue races sponsored by the Student Programming Association. In preparation for the races, SPA purchased more pirogues so participation could increase, Eric Haydel, SPA Spirit and Travel Chairman, said.
On Wednesday at noon, a pep rally will be held in front of the Bollinger Memorial Student Union sponsored by SPA, the Residence Hall Association and the cheerleaders. Afterwards there will be novelty games in Bollinger Memorial Student Union until 10 p.m.
The parade will be at 5 p.m. Thursday starting at John L. Guidry Stadium.
After the parade the bonfire will begin. The band “No Idea” is scheduled to play before and after the events. The bonfire and band will be in the field south of South Babington Hall. This event is sponsored by SPA and RHA.
The Poetry Slam will be Friday at 8 p.m. in the Bollinger Memorial Student Union, and students, alumni, faculty and staff are invited to perform original poetry, music or stand-up comedy. Afterwards, there will be a block party with dancing, music, food and beverages in the front of the Bollinger Memorial Student Union.
On Saturday alumni will host a golf tournament at 7:30 a.m. at the Bayou Country Club. They are also hosting a tennis tournament on campus at 8:30 a.m.
At 4:30 p.m. on Saturday, there will be a Homecoming buffet and pep rally in the Nicholls Quadrangle. Homecoming court and outstanding alumnus and alumna will be announced. At 5:15 p.m. the Nicholls band and cheerleaders will lead the pep rally.
Finally, the culmination of Homecoming week starts at 6:30 p.m. on Saturday with the start of the Homecoming game. Half time activities include a fireworks display and the announcing of the River Bell Bounty Food Drive winner and the Homecoming King and Queen.