Nicholls partners with Nunez in transferring courses

Nicholls has signed a memorandum of understanding with Elaine P. Nunez Community College to allow courses to transfer from Nunez Community College to the University in regards to the Bachelor of Science Degree in the Petroleum Services program.
The memorandum was signed on Oct. 19, 2012, and courses can be transferred beginning this semester.  
“The partnership began with Michael Gautreaux, safety technology and petroleum services coordinator, and John Griffin, associate professor of petroleum services, contacting and conversing with the department at Nunez Community College,” Laynie Barrilleaux, assistant vice president for academic affairs, said.
The courses that will transfer from Nunez Community College to the University are as follows:
– Industrial Technology, INDT, 1030 Industrial and Plant Safety from Nunez Community College will be accepted for credit as Safety Technology, SATC, 112 Loss Control.  
INDT 1610 Process Technology I: Equipment for Petroleum Services Technology, PSET 231 Gas Production.
INDT 2630 Fluid Mechanics for PSET 131 Reservoir Fluids.
According to the memorandum, for these credits to transfer to the University, students have to earn a C or better in the Nunez Community College course. The student is not required to complete a degree at Nunez Community College to be eligible for the transfers, however.
For the next set of courses to transfer from Nunez Community College to the University, students have to complete the original course with a C or better and also take a pass credit exam at the University with a grade of 70 percent or better.  The set of courses are:
INDT 1000 Introduction to Hazardous Materials for SATC 385 Hazardous Materials Management
INDT 1640 Oil and Gas Production I for PSET 341 Oil Production
INDT 2910 Internship for PSET 401 Cooperative Work Experience
The memorandum states that, for it to remain in effect, “Nunez Community College shall remain accredited by Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges, SACS-COC,” and that “the Nunez faculty that are teaching the class must maintain credentials specified by SACS-COC guidelines.”
Gautreaux said in a press release on Nov. 28 that the program “has already graduated several transfer students from Nunez Community College,” and that he “hopes that the new agreement will encourage more students to pursue their bachelor’s degrees at Nicholls.”
“The memorandum can save students time, give them credit for what they achieved, and an opportunity to transfer to a higher degree and end up better for the workforce,” Barrilleaux said.
“This memorandum gives our students a shot to move into more advanced careers,” Keith Tolleson, process technology program manager for Nunez Community College, said in the Nov. 28 press release.
Barrilleaux expanded on the University’s willingness to diversify opportunities.
“Students should know that here at the University we are constantly looking for ways to work with community colleges,” Barrilleaux said.
A lot of technical colleges have programs that lead into the University’s two- and four-year degrees. Along with Nunez Community College, the University also has partnerships with L.E. Fletcher Technical Community College and South Louisiana Community College.