Football stadium press box vandalized

Vandals left behind drink cans and bottles in the stadiums press box Tuesday. Athletics officials said the press box will reopen to the media for Saturdays game.
Vandals left behind drink cans and bottles in the stadium’s press box Tuesday. Athletics officials said the press box will reopen to the media for Saturday’s game.

The press box at John L. Guidry Stadium was vandalized Tuesday night, according to Brandon Rizzuto, Sports Information Director for men’s athletics. “Whoever did this has no pride in their school,” Rizzuto said, adding that he finds it hard to believe anybody would want to damage any building on campus.

The vandals poured drinks on the floor, wall, computer and copy machine in the press box. The vandals also sprayed the floors and counters of the President’s Suite and Colonel Club Quarters with a fire extinguisher.

According to Bobby Galinsky, Compliance Coordinator for Athletics, it is unknown how the vandals got in the stadium, but security will now start patrolling.

“We haven’t had a home game in two weeks,” Galinsky said. “I was the last person to leave and I locked all the doors. Security said they’ll come through every night and make sure all the doors are locked. It’s sad that they have to do that but they’ll have to.”

Galinsky said University Police are currently conducting an investigation but as of press time there were no suspects.

The facilities will be cleaned and ready for Saturday’s game against South Dakota State, according to Galinsky.