Blackboard problems have been resolved

Compatibility software problems caused the new version of Blackboard to go offline at the beginning of the semester, but the problem has been resolved by installing an older version of Windows on the server, Sherry Rodrigue, computer specialist in Academic Computing, said. When the new Blackboard version arrived at Nicholls Aug. 14, a week before the fall semester began professors started having problems uploading documents and assignments, Rodrigue said.

Rodrigue said the new version, Blackboard Enterprise, was not compatible with the University’s new servers that run Windows 2003 Release 2.

Rodrigue said she called both Blackboard and Microsoft for assistance and troubleshooting, but they were unable to fix the problem. Over the Labor Day weekend, Rodrigue and other members of the faculty worked to get Blackboard back online.

The problem was solved when Windows 2003 Release 1 was re-installed on the servers. Afterwards Blackboard was stable and working smoothly, Rodruigue said.

According to www.blackboard.com, the software is Internet-enabled technology that allows students and teachers to connect in a growing network.

Rodrigue said the administration decided to go with the Blackboard upgrade because it has more features and better security. She also said, the administration requires professors to put their course syllabus and grades on Blackboard.

“Blackboard is a nice addition to the traditional classroom,” Andrew Simoncelli, coordinator of E-Learning, said.

Simoncelli also said a benefit of using Blackboard is that the program allows students to learn outside the classroom through notes, discussion boards and quizzes. Blackboard also gives students a chance to communicate with their professors and other students after class is over.

Students on campus have different opinions of Blackboard.

“The access is simple, and Blackboard makes turning in assignments, communication and checking grades easy,” Todd Danos, freshmen from Cut Off, said.

Other students said Blackboard was unreliable.

“When Blackboard was offline it was unreliable because I was unable to print out a study guide for a quiz,” Ashley Guidry, history junior from Thibodaux, said.

As a result of Blackboard going offline, Rodrigue said the administration has purchased machines which will check new programs before they are put on the live system. This testing allows the programs to be fixed before any major problems can occur.

“We still like Blackboard, it is a good product and tool that benefits the students; however, we are disappointed in the system support.”

Rodrigue and other faculty are also backing up the system and troubleshooting for other problems that may occur.