Questions & Answers

Rillieux talks about life as a college athlete
Shane Rillieux, freshman guard from New Orleans, shouts out a play change as he dribbles the ball toward the basket.

Sophomore guard Shane Rillieux has helped Nicholls men’s basketball pick up three conference victories so far this season while averaging over six points and two assists per game. He took some time out after practice to speak with the Nicholls Worth.
Q: When did you start playing basketball?
A: When I was four, my mom got me a little goal set, and she showed me pictures of me shooting on it. So I guess that is when it started.
Q: How did you adjust to college ball?
A: It was tough. I mean high school is pretty easy. When I got to college, I was like, “Wow, this is another level.” But the coaching staff and some of my teammates have helped me transition.
Q: You play a lot of minutes. How do you stay energized near the end of the game?
A: It is just a mental thing. I try not to think about how many minutes I’ve played and just play as hard as I can. Coach (Piper) helps out with the timeouts and media timeouts, so it is not that rough.
Q: What feels better-getting an assist or a steal?
A: That is a good one. I do not know. It is about one-and-one.
Q: You do not take three pointers very often, but you hit them at a high percentage. How did you develop your stroke?
A: Just shooting and technique. I shoot every so often with coach Czepil. He helps me with my technique, and I think that had a lot to do with it.
Q: Everyone always asks about favorite players, but was there a player you hated growing up?
A: It would probably be Kevin Garnett. I mean his attitude, and he just seems like a big bully out there.
Q: What is your favorite pair of Jordans? Or are you not a Jordan guy?
A: I am a Jordan guy. I would pick the Retro 11s.
Q: Outside of basketball, what do you like to do?
A: We usually just kick it in the apartment and play NBA 2K or Call of Duty.
Q: If you could break any record, which one would you choose and why?
A: It would probably be the assist record. I feel like I would have a better chance because the last few players who came here have been scorers. I mean (Bose) Anatoly averaged 22 a game. I am a point guard, so I cannot really average 22. I think I have a better chance of trying to break the assist record.
Q: Do you have a favorite sports movie?
A: It would have to be Space Jam. That is my favorite movie of all time.
Q: Who is the funniest guy on the team?
A: Hands down, it’s Jeremy Smith.