Math GA auditions for American Idol

Andie Chiasson
Andie Chiasson

Andie Chiasson, math department graduate assistant, auditioned for American Idol Sept. 3 in downtown Memphis. Chiasson arrived for tryouts at 5 a.m. and waited two and a half-hours before entering the building. This year about 12,000 people auditioned, a record for American Idol.

The wait continued inside the stadium, Chiasson said. The participants were taught a song to sing together, “Memphis” by Chuck Berry, and they also took a group photo before the auditions actually began, Chiasson said.

There were 12 tables set up across the floor in the FedEx Forum Stadium with a black curtain separating each table, she said. The producers and staff of American Idol judged the contestants. Randy, Simon and Paula do not judge until someone makes it through a couple of rounds, Chiasson said. Everyone went in groups of four, and Chiasson said she was the last to go out of her group.

The judges agreed that her song choice, “Bring it Home” by Sam Cook, was right for her; however, the man who auditioned before her was chosen to move on to the next round instead of her.

“He was phenomenal, and he knew what they were looking for because he tried out before,” Chiasson said. “I wasn’t that disappointed because it takes several rounds of auditions before I would even get to meet Simon, Paula and Randy.”

Chiasson has been singing since she was a small child, and singing runs in her family. Chiasson’s mother sings in a swampop band, and her father also sings and plays guitar, Chiasson said.

“My first experience was probably with my family at either AstroWorld or Fun City in Texas singing for a recorded CD,” Chiasson said.

In addition to being an exciting experience, Chaisson said the trip also served as a vacation for her.

“I got to visit a lot of my friends who have evacuated up here to Memphis; it was great,” Chiasson said.

Chaisson said she would only audition again if tryouts were closer to home.

“I just did not want to say that I had the opportunity and did not take it,” Chiasson said.

Chiasson recommends anybody with the dream to perform and the ability to sing to go for it. The judges are looking for something unique, Chaisson said.