Monsters Inc.

The clever cartoon hit appeals to kids and kids at heart

“Monsters Inc.” may be a computer animated film from Disney’s Pixar company, but its soul is channeled directly from the early Warner Brothers and Tex Avery cartoons of the 40s, 50s and 60s.
And, for a more recent comparison, it follows the wry “Shrek” as a film that may be marketed at kids, but has many jokes and pop culture references that only adults can fully grasp. This undoubtedly comes as a blessing to parents and older siblings.
“Monsters Inc.” features the duo of John P. Sullivan (voiced by John Goodman), a big blue behemoth with a soft spot, and Mike Wazowski (voiced by Billy Crystal), his mono-ocular little buddy with a runaway ego.
Sully and Mike work for Monsters Inc., where scaring kids has become big business. That is because children’s screams are a huge energy source for the creatures’ city of Monstropolis.
Mike and Sully, along with a huge cornucopia of other monsters, have the dubious job of frightening children from around the world and collecting their screams in yellow canisters.
Of course, some monsters are better at this than others. Giant Sully has a particular talent with his giant growl that sends shivers down any kid’s spine. It is a talent that makes him the enemy of the slimy chameleon-like monster named Randall (aptly voiced by Steve Buscemi).
Things get even more complicated when a lovable little girl, nicknamed Boo by Sully, escapes from our world into the monster’s realm. Of course, the irony is that monsters are more frightened of
kids than the contrary, and the arrival of Boo sends Monstropolis into a frenzy.
Sully eventually gets over his own fear and becomes friends with Boo, but the sly Randall has plans to use her with his new “scream extractor” that will save Monsters Inc. but devastate all children.
The plot of “Monsters Inc.” is simple enough for any grade-schooler to understand, but it has enough plot twists and attention grabbers to keep any adult interested.
There are references in the movie that only well-versed pop culture buffs will get, such as the local sushi joint being named “Harryhausen’s” after the famed stop-motion director of such classics as “Clash of the Titans.”
The imagery is impressive with the great variety of monsters in day-glo colors involved in all sorts of sight gags. Yet this is not a special effect movie that is meant to wow audiences. The plot is emphasized, and like most traditional cartoons, the characters take center stage.
“Monsters Inc.” signals another innovation: the computer animated cartoon where we really do not think about the computer involved.
When computer animation was first introduced, there was the novelty aspect of it being digital. But now, since the technology is so commonplace, we do not acknowledge it as much and pay more
attention to other aspects of the film.
Of course, this being Disney, the film does get a little emotionally sentimental at times, but it never comes across as sappy or contrived. The characters have heart in a big way, a way that kids love but does not give cynical adults a gag reflex.
Overall, “Monsters Inc.” is a great, well produced movie. However, make no mistake, it is primarily aimed at kids, as the candy-like colors and cuddly characters confirm.
If you want an animated movie that is a profound piece of art aimed at adults, then rent “Waking Life.” But, if you are looking for pure fun that makes you feel like a kid again, grab “Monsters Inc.