Tribute band Nelson performs in Peltier Auditorium

Brothers+Matthew+and+Gunnar+Nelson+performed+some+of+their+father+Ricky+Nelson%E2%80%99s+top+songs+during+their+concert+in+Peltier+Auditorium+on+Jan.+27.+
Brothers Matthew and Gunnar Nelson performed some of their father Ricky Nelson’s top songs during their concert in Peltier Auditorium on Jan. 27.

The rock band Nelson, also known as Ricky Nelson Remembered, performed in Peltier Auditorium on Jan. 27 with songs made popular by their father, Rock-and-Roll Hall of Famer, Ricky Nelson.
Matthew and Gunnar Nelson founded the group Nelson in 1990 and rose to fame with their hit “(Can’t Live Without Your) Love and Affection,” which went multi-platinum. Today, the group tours across the country under the name Ricky Nelson Remembered in homage to their late father.
Glenda Toups, Houma Regional Arts Council executive director, said the booking the event was a great opportunity.
“We used to have a concert series years ago and we are back in the swing of things,” Toups said. “We like to host events outside of Houma and Peltier Auditorium is a great location. When we knew Nelson would be on tour in Louisiana, we got on it and were able to book them.”
Ricky Nelson became known during the summer of 1957 when he debuted his single with Fats Domino, “I’m Walkin’.” Nelson’s debut album, “Ricky,” was released at the end of 1957 and quickly went to number one. By the end of the 1950s, Nelson secured 12 number-one hits and was touring the world.
Nelson is known as the first teen idol that used television to promote his music. By the 1960s, Nelson had 30 top-40 singles and by the 1970s, Nelson topped the charts one last time with his hit “Garden Party.”
Ricky Nelson died on Dec. 31, 1985. He was inducted into the Rock-and-Roll Hall of Fame posthumously in 1987 and also has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
The Nelson family is listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as the “only family to reach number-one record status in three successive generations.”