Nicholls Can collects more than 12,000 cans for food banks

Jean Donegan, art department head and professor of art, organizes over 12,000 cans brought in during Nicholls Can.

October’s Breast Cancer Awareness Month will reach its climax with the arrival of the Susan G. Komen Bayou Region Race for the Cure on Oct. 27 at John L. Guidry Stadium.
Since 1999, the bayou region has been a part of the world’s largest breast cancer-fighting network known as Susan G. Komen for the Cure. The Bayou Region Affiliate of Komen for the Cure contributes to breast cancer awareness by holding its own annual race as a part of the national series of 5K runs.
The event will begin with a one-mile fun run/walk at 8:30 a.m. and will continue with the 5K run/walk at 9:30 a.m. Individuals of all ages are invited to participate. Families, friends, school organizations and other groups may enter as teams.
After the race, a tribute to survivors will be held to recognize those who have overcome breast cancer. The event will come to a close with a Jambalaya/Chili cook off. There will be vendors selling food and drinks, and there will be tables set up with information about breast cancer awareness and the Susan G. Komen for the Cure foundation.
This is the third year that the Race for the Cure will be held at John L. Guidry Stadium. It was previously held at Peltier Park. Kim Webre, director of NSU Steps for Breast Health Grant and co-chair on the Race for the Cure committee, is in charge of the University’s own team called the Nicholls Steps.
“Every year, we’ve grown,” Webre said. “We started out with only 50 members, but every year we continue to grow.”
Last year, Nicholls Steps had over 200 individuals on the team. Webre is hoping that numbers will rise to at least 300 participants this year. Along with students participating in the race, Nicholls culinary students will also team up and enter the Jambalaya/Chili cook off.
The Susan G. Komen movement has been spreading knowledge about breast cancer for 30 years. The Bayou Region Affiliate has been a contributor for the last 13 years. It is one of 125 affiliates to service the parishes of Terrebonne, Lafourche, St. James, St. Mary and Assumption. There are over 40 sponsors that contribute to the Race for the Cure from these parishes.
“We even have some that do in-kind donations, like Pepsi. They donate money, and they donate drinks for the race. So that’s more money we can make for the cause,” said Webre.
Most of the proceeds raised during the race will stay in the bayou region. Seventy-five percent of the profits generated will fund grants necessary for breast cancer research. Funds for projects in the area of breast health education and breast cancer screenings and treatments are also included. Webre said the remaining proceeds go to the national Susan G. Komen for the Cure grants program to fund research.
“That’s the great thing about Komen,” said Webre. “When you’re participating in this race, the  majority of the proceeds stay with our affiliate level.”
Registration for the race begins at 7:30 a.m. Saturday. Participants may also register at John L. Guidry Stadium on Friday, Oct. 26 between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. Additional registration can be processed at the Cancer Center of Thibodaux Regional Hospital or online at www.komenbayouregion.org.
Webre encourages new and returning volunteers to get involved. Information tables are set up in the union and the quad for students throughout the month of October. Luncheons are also held in the spring in which Webre combines educational components about breast health and breast cancer awareness.
Webre said they are looking for more individuals to register for the race and join the Nicholls Steps team. The Nicholls Steps continue to accept entries for the Jambalaya/Chili cook off. Brochures are available around campus with more information about Susan G. Komen for the Cure and the Race for the Cure Bayou Region.