Grand Isle goes green with help from Nicholls students

Students in Allyse Ferrara’s marine conservation and management class, along with members of the Green Club, Biology Society and students from L’eCole Cabanocey elementary school helped clean a kilometer length of beach at Grand Isle State Park last weekend for a research project on marine debris.The group of nearly 50 students performed a pre-sweep of the section once in February then returned last weekend to collect and catalog the debris that had accumulated. Ferrara, associate professor of biological sciences and co-adviser of the Nicholls Biology Society, began this research project in 2008 and combined it with her marine conservation and management class to clean a kilometer-length section of beach in Grand Isle State Park.

Thanks to a service-learning grant, Ferrara plans to observe and clean up a month’s worth of debris once a year in order to better determine the source of each type of debris.

“It gives us an idea of how quickly debris can build up on the beach over a month, but also allows us to extrapolate how much accumulates over a year as well,” Ferrara said.

“It’s a lot of fun to do, but it’s also pretty sobering to see how much debris accumulates in such a short period of time,” Ferrara said. The group collected over 100 kg. of debris during their last sweep.

Gary LaFleur, associate professor of biological sciences, said the goal of the project is partly to introduce Ferrara’s class to marine debris. “One way is to talk about it, but another way is to have them participate,” LaFleur said. “Dr. Ferrara combined a teaching project with a research project. It’s a best case scenario.”

Ferrara said all debris is cataloged as either ocean or land-related. Most debris found is land-related, ranging from construction materials and 2x4s to food containers and baby diapers. “We find a lot of food wrappers, plastic bottles and Styrofoam containers,” Ferrara said. This year, the group collected lots of building materials, which Ferrara said were probably a result of last year’s hurricanes.

“The most unique component to the project is that Dr. Ferrara is collaborating with the art program to create an art installation,” LaFleur said. Articles of debris such as netting, balloons and baby doll limbs Ferrara’s group collected on the beach will be given to the art department’s 3D sculpture and design class. Students in the class will create various sculptures from the debris for an art exhibit opening the first week of November.

Ferrara said she wishes to continue the project whether or not it continues to be funded by the service-learning grant. Anyone interested in helping with the project can contact Ferrara at (985) 448-4736.