Family Day to celebrate 29th year

Nicholls will celebrate Family Day for the 29th year from noon until the 3 p.m. kickoff of the Colonels vs. Cowboy football game on Oct. 3.  
Brenda Haskins, executive director of auxiliary services, said Family Day developed as a tradition that gives back to Nicholls employees, students and the community.  
“It sort of evolved as a tradition at Nicholls where it is valued by not only the people at Nicholls but the community we serve,” Haskins said.  
Haskins said she expects a large turnout for this year’s festivity since there has been an increase in the amount of Nicholls tailgaters, and the Colonels are playing a team that is close enough to bring their fans.  Last year, there was an estimated 2,000 people in attendance at Family Day. Haskins said she expects this year’s number to be consistent but hopes for an increase in guests.  
“I expect a big crowd this year because we are playing McNeese, and they have a huge tailgate fan following,” Haskins said.  “And our own tailgating has come a long way since we have a larger number of tailgaters now at Nicholls.”  
High school seniors who are scouting Nicholls as their potential home away from home will also be on campus as part of Colonel Day, an event sponsored by the Office of Admissions.  
Laurie Larose, assistant director of admissions, said the combination of Family Day and Colonel Day allows students who cannot make it to campus during the week for a private campus tour the opportunity to see an example of student life on campus during the weekend.   
“It’s always best to do an event for prospective students on campus when we have events for them to attend on campus,” Larose said.  “We’ve visited most schools in the state by this point, and we’ve invited everyone to this event.”  
Colonel Day gives an estimated 600 to 800 prospective students from across the state the opportunity to learn more about Nicholls, their prospective colleges and campus buildings, such as the new recreation center and residence halls.  
Tours for the Harold J. Callais Recreation Center will be offered at 10:00, 10:30 and 11:00 a.m.  There will also be tours of the residence halls where each residence hall will offer a cookie and milk reception for guests.   
At the end of the Colonel Day program, students and their parents have the opportunity to participate in Family Day and the football game.  
Haskins said the event is unique because it gives people the chance to show off Nicholls and attend an event where they do not have to spend a lot of money thanks to the efforts of the student organizations and campus department’s activity fair.  
A pep rally at 2:30 will feature the Pride of Nicholls Marching Band.  To help promote school spirit, the University Bookstore will also be open to sell Nicholls merchandise.  
Sodexo will sell concessions such as hamburgers, hot dogs and nachos, and Haskins said, depending on the weather, food services may also serve gumbo.  
Tickets for the game are on sell now at NichollsTickets.com for $7 per person without the hassle of waiting in lines.  On game day, presell tickets will also be sold from 12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. for $10 per person at the ticket booth on the “Home Side” of the stadium.    
“It’s a great promotion that we give back to our employees, students and community,” Haskins said.  “It gives a chance for parents to see what their students have been saying about Nicholls.”