Nicholls recognizes Constitution week with several events

The Department of History and Social Sciences at Nicholls State University celebrate Constitution week beginning Sept. 16 through the 22.
A national weeklong celebration of the country’s foundation and most important document is scheduled, beginning with the recognition of Citizenship Day-the anniversary marking the Constitutional Convention and the signing of the document. All schools in the country that receive federal funding are required to recognize the event by law.
Activities regarding the event in association with the Department of History and Social Sciences include participation on campus from Student Government Association and voting registrars from the parish.
A panel discussion in Le Bijou Theatre was held Wednesday evening between 6:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. covering various topics in relation to constitutional law. This year the topic revolved around the Bill of Rights. The panel was comprised of academic representative Dr. Rusty Thysell, government professor and faculty co-advisor of the Young Democrats, local attorney at law Henry Lafont, who has previous experience teaching at Nicholls, and Baton Rouge attorney Ryan Brown of Roedel Parsons law firm.
Thysell said he is proud to be on the panel because the subject matter is what he teaches, and his interest in constitutional law has lead him to conduct personal research. His position within the College of Arts and Sciences at Nicholls has trained him for this opportunity. He also said that all schools celebrate Constitution Week in their own unique way.
“This is a really good seminar with really good speakers,” said James Stewart, professor and department head of mass communication. “It is important for students and the public because most Americans don’t appreciate constitutional law. Many places such as undeveloped countries come nowhere near the amount of freedom we have, specifically regarding the Bill of Rights.”
Other events included the Student Government Association handing out “pocket” constitutions in the Donald G. Bollinger Memorial Student Union as well as a Scantron give-away on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Voting registration will possibly occur today on behalf of Lafourche parish.
The main event of Constitution Week is the Constitutional Fair. This year the event is held in Gilbert, Ariz. For further information regarding the national celebration, visit the website http://www.constitutionweekusa.com/.