New video releases in a nutshell

Next week is notable for all the new releases coming out on video, not only for the quanity but for the diversity of releases as well. Everything from a explosive action movie to a quiet fil noir masterpiece.Behind Enemy Lines

An unappreciative Navy pilot (played by Owen Wilson) gets shot down in enemy Serbian territory and his commanding officer (Gene Hackman) goes against orders to rescue him. Owen’s character learns some important lessons in the process.

In a Nutshell: While its no Saving Private Ryan it is an entertaining war movie. Lots of action and high-tech gear for those who like war movies for the firework factor. It almost became a feel-good patriotic movie at one point, but made up for it by showing some brief glimpses of the plight of those involved in the Bosnian conflict. But not for too long, because the big aircraft carrier and the Collective Soul-laden soundtrack is so much cooler, right?

Lingering Questions: Is Ice-T and Public Enemy really that popular in Bosnia? Can you really do that with a football on an aircraft carrier? Is Owen Wilson’s accent southern or California dude?

Black Night:

Jamal, played by Martin Lawrence, gets transported back to 14th century England, and teaches all those nobles and peasants how to get their groove on.

In a Nutshell: One of those movies that is very funny and entertaining, even though your saying to yourself how ridicilous it is while your watching it. It was a pretty unusual idea to stick Martin into a Robin Hood: Prince and Thieves world. It also works surprisingly well. Martin is funny as hell.

Lingering Questions: Really, would a bunch of stodgy medieval white guys be so accepting of a brother from 21st century South Central? How in the hell do they figure Martin is French? Could a medieval band really play Sly and the Family Stone?

Spy Games

A CIA veteran (played by Robert Redford) must save his partner (Brad Pitt) after he gets captured by the Chinese due to his personal agenda involving his girlfriend.

In a Nutshell: This movie stars two actors who are very talented despite (or in spite of) their heartthrob status. Too bad the movie sucks. The plot tries too hard to be complicated, the cinematography tries too hard to be hip. And leave the spy stuff to James Bond, these guys are best at taking survelience photographs while sporting 70’s style haircuts.

Lingering Questions: Even though the movie takes place in the late 80’s/early 90’s (from what I understand), does Pitt’s character really look old enough to have been in Vietnam? It’s safe to say that Redford passes this test though.

Domestic Disturbance

A father (played by John Travolta) discovers that his son’s new stepfather (Vince Vaughn) is a homicidal criminal.

In a nutshell: It’s good enough. Travolta and Vaughn deliver good peformances. Your average typecast thug Steve Buschemi has a cool role (you might not know him by name, but believe me, you’ve seen Buschemi before). Unfortunately, the plot suffers from television movie of the week syndrome. A misunderstood kid discovers unlikable stepdad is secretly a shady guy. Didn’t I see that on Lifetime last week?

Lingering Questions: Is the police force in this movie the worst in the United States? Travolta’s character found evidence on Yahoo in five minutes that the police couldn’t find in weeks. Also, is the mom in this movie brain dead? Come on woman, get a clue already.

The Man Who Wasn’t There

Billy Bob Thornton stars as a barber with possibly the worst luck in the world. He decided to blackmail the man who is sleeping with his wife, which leads to a series of unfortunate circumstances.

In A Nutshell: A classic. Those who like mainstream movies might have a hard time getting past the black and white, the slow pace, and the overall depressing mood of the film. However, it has strong performances by Thornton and James Gandolfini (of Sopranos fame) that make the movie worthwhile. Also, it has excellent direction by the Coen Brothers (Oh Brother Where Art Thou, Fargo). It has the feel of a vintage film noir movie, and has great classical music including stuff by a guy named Beethoven.

Lingering Questions: Does Thornton’s character Ed Crane ever smile or say more than three words at a time? Yeah, and what’s with the flying saucers?

In a city in the future, robots become an opressed faction persecuted by humans. A detective and his sidekick Ken-ichi are searching for rebel scientist Dr. Laughton. They find him and his latest creation, a girl named Tima. Tima soon discovers she is a new kind of robot and has a purpose way beyond what she expected.

In A Nutshell: Not the kind of cartoon you watched as a kid. It is an excellent combination of traditional cel animation and new digital imagery. The design is very imaginative. The visuals alone are enough to watch the movie, but it has a bit of substance and plot also. Another unique thing is the music, which is jazz. A Ray Charles tune is even played along to buildings blowing up at the end, which makes for an odd Dr. Strangelove style combination.

Lingering Questions: I like Japanimation, but I still can’t figure out why all the characters look five years old. And these things are produced in Japan, right? Why do all the characters look American? American five-year-olds don’t make for very interesting characters.