Colonels go on air

This football season Colonels fans can sit at home and not worry about missing a game. It was announced last week the Colonels had picked up three televised games this season. Although all of the games are on the road, head football coach Jay Thomas said he is thrilled to have the Colonels return to television.

“It’s great for our program and can help a lot with recruiting,” Thomas said. “We’d like to put on a good show, and our guys are really excited.”

Two of the three games will be broadcast across the state on Cox Sports Television, while one will broadcast nationally on Fox Sports Net.

“Seeing us on national television is definitely good for recruiting,” Thomas said. “It’s a chance to show recruits what we have, and it keeps that avenue open.”

The first of the games will be the Sept. 16 game against Louisiana Tech. The game will be on Cox Sports Net and broadcast statewide.

The lone nationally televised game will be the Colonels’ Nov. 2 meeting with Southland Conference rival Texas State in the “Battle for the Paddle.” The game was originally set for Nov. 4 but was moved to Thursday night for the television audience.

Fox Sports Net covers Louisiana, Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma and parts of New Mexico.

Not only will the Colonels appear on Fox Sports Net, but five other Southland Conference games are set to be televised on the network.

Southland Conference Commissioner Tom Burnett said in a press release that he is pleased with the relationship between the network and the Southland Conference.

“FSN Southwest provides the Southland with a tremendous household reach in our region of the country,” Burnett said. “The network is a great partner, and we are excited to get eight teams on the schedule.”

Nov. 18 will be the final time the Colonels appear on television, when they play another conference rival, McNeese State.

Despite playing on television, Thomas said it is important to play your best at all times and not just when the team is featured on a broadcast.