Sports briefs

SoccerThe Nicholls Lady Colonels soccer team fell to the Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin Cajuns, 9-0, Sunday afternoon in an exhibition match at the Cajuns Track/Soccer Facility.

The Lady Colonels received shot attempts from sophomore midfielder Sara West and junior midfielder Kelly Walsh. Freshman goalie Jenice Geare had four saves, while junior Sarah Neunzig had one save.

Nicholls opens up the 2006 regular season tomorrow by hosting Louisiana Tech in game one of the First American Bank Invitational. Game time is set for 4 p.m. The tournament will continue through Sunday, with all games being played on the Nicholls Soccer Field.

Baseball

Sophomore pitcher Justin Breaux was recently named the 2006 Carolina Virginia Collegiate League’s Pitcher of the Year.

The summer league, which takes place during June and July, features teams from Virginia, West Virginia and North Carolina, and requires players to use wood bats.

Breaux, who played for the Danville Cougars, finished the season with a record of 3-2 and sported a miniscule 1.64 ERA in 48 innings pitched. The left-hander from Plaquemine, set a league record by finishing the summer with 28 consecutive scoreless innings in league play. For his efforts, Breaux was also named as a member of the 2006 CVCL All-Star Team.