Professor dies at home

Maynard Wayne Delozier, distinguished professor of marketing, died of congestive heart failure Friday night in his home. He was 56 years old. “It was a shock to walk in and find him dead. It is very emotional,” Wayne Boyet, professor of economics and finance, said.

Delozier, a graduate from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, began his career at the University of South Carolina in 1977 and remained there until 1987 when he began to teach at Nicholls.

He taught courses in consumer behavior, which was his expertise, and one graduate marketing class.

“He was a scholar hired as one of the first distinguished service professors, on this campus. He brought to the college and University an impressive publication record of textbooks and articles,” Ridley Gros, dean of business, said.

“He was a thinker who challenged you.”

Delozier distinguised himself as the publisher or co-author of 11 text books. One text book, “Marketing Communications Process,” was chosen by “Choice” magazine as one of the top three textbooks published in 1973 for business and economics.

He was recognized by a National Marketing Association for his achievements, and participated in several visiting professorships.

Boyet said Nicholls has lost a lot, and that Delozier was concerned with his students often allowing them to call him at home if they needed anything.

“If he was your friend, he would do anything at any hour of the day or night. All you had to do was call him,” Boyet said.

“His death was a shock to say the least.”

Gros said Ren Viosca, assistant professor of management and marketing, will assume the responsibilities of Delozier’s consumer behaviors class, and Blaise Bergiel, professor of management and marketing, will assume the responsibilities of his graduate course.

Funeral services will be held in Newport News Virginia, Delozier’s hometown, at the Peninsula Funeral Home. Visitation will begin at 7 p.m. Wednesday, and the funeral service will take place at 2 p.m. Thursday.