Ellender Memorial Library to use Internet-based Sirsi system

Ellender Memorial Library will introduce Sirsi Unicorn, a new, up-to-date library system, which will replace and older, out-of-date NOTIS system. The new system, which will include research-based information, will be available directly through the Internet.

Currently, information is being transferred from the older system to the new system, and will be completed in early September.

The information stored on the system includes searching resources, course reserve materials, catalogs, archives and web search engines.

According to Sirsi.net, since the system is available through the Internet, it lowers the cost compared to library systems that are not web-based.

Unlike the Sirsi system, NOTIS, implanted into the University library system in 1994, is stored on a disk operating system and is only available through the Nicholls computer system.

“With Sirsi, the information is just a click away. Anyone will be able to look up the information from any place. They won’t have to be on campus,” Linda Bourgeois of automation services said.

Ten universities in Louisiana have completed the process, while 18 more, including Nicholls, are not yet completed.

Schools are added to the system in four different phases. Each remaining university will be added in one of three remaining phases.

All universities in Louisiana are controlled by The Louisiana Library System, known as LOUIS, located in Louisiana State University.

Bourgeois said LOUIS formed a committee to research other systems over time and chose SIRSI to succeed NOTIS.

“As things move along in this electronic age, they knew the NOTIS system was not going to continue forever,” Bourgeois said.

“The purpose is the same, but (Sirsi) is more user-friendly and easier for the students and public to access. NOTIS was good while it was here because it served its purpose, but now it is time to move on to something better,” Bourgeois said. “I think we will be able to do more with SIRSI, and it will be easier.”

According to Sirsi.net, the new system provides constant upgrades to maintain and add current information, while removing several burdens from the library staff. Sirsi is available 24 hours a day, unlike NOTIS which was only available during school hours.

“Selecting a system based on today’s capabilities is not enough. We must have confidence that the vendor has a good vision of the future and sufficient resources to ensure the system will evolve in the direction libraries wish to grow. We believe Sirsi will address our needs for today and tomorrow,” Peter Clinton, director of technology services for the University of Toronto Libraries, said in a recent on line press release.

Before NOTIS, the University used the card catalog system.

“We have come a long way since the card catalog system, and we are continuing to move right along,” Bourgeois said.

Bourgeois said more information will be released at a later date. Anyone interested in looking at the schools on line can go to the URL: http://louis.lsu.edu/libraries/ilinkcatalog.html or http://www.sirsi.net for information about Sirsi.

Other universities that will have the completed system in September with Nicholls are Delgado Community College, LSU-Alexandria, LSU-Eunice, Louisiana Universities Marine Consortium, Nunez Community College, Our Lady of the Lake College, South Louisiana Community College, Southern University at New Orleans and UL-Lafayette.

According to Sirsi.net, the system began operating in 1979 and their main purpose is to promote learning and education skills through easier and cheaper means.