African-American month celebrated

The Student Government Association is sponsoring the first annual African-American History Month Celebration Luncheon, which will take place tomorrow from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. in the Plantation Suite of the Student Union to honor current and former African-Americans from Nicholls. The event, free of charge and open to all students, faculty and staff, will cap off all projects and events held at Nicholls in observance of African-American History Month this February.

Notable Nicholls African-American alumni, students and faculty will speak at the luncheon. The speakers will include Larry White, Millet-Zeringue Hall director, Christal Lewis, Student Programming Association vice president, and Cleveland Hill, Dean of Education. Ricardo Wilson, the first ever African-American SGA president, is the principle speaker for the event.

One of University president Dr. Donald J. Ayo’s assistants, unannounced, will open the luncheon with a brief introductory speech, and the Nicholls Gospel Choir will perform two selections.

Nicole Perero, SGA vice president, will present two special achievement and scholarship awards to African-American students who have shown outstanding service to the University and the community.

“People will eat and hopefully have a good time. We hope to have a diverse group there. We feel like African-American History month is not just for African-Americans, it’s for everyone. Everyone wants to be successful in life regardless of different backgrounds,” Judy Daniels, dean of student life, said.

Many of the past and present alumni invited to the luncheon can be seen on a display board coordinated by the SGA in the Student Union adjacent to the information desk.

“We wanted to build the display last year to honor past and present African-Americans, but we did not have enough time to finish it. This time we worked on it during the (winter) break to make sure we finished it by this month,” Alcie Maxwell, SGA director of Student Rights and Grievances, said. “It was really neat to work on it. I learned a lot about the history of Nicholls.”

Daniels, one of the faces posted on the bulletin board, approved the project and said she was thrilled at the idea of the SGA and other organizations getting involved.

“The SGA, as well as the other organizations, have been wonderful in terms of making students and faculty aware of (African-American) History Month through the bulletin board project,” she said.

“I was impressed with their willingness to provide the effort, energy and resources to pull it together. I think it was a good thing for everybody to get a glimpse of Nicholls history,” she added.

Maxwell said he and other students and faculty researched Nicholls archives, history books and past yearbooks. The most notable of the books used, Maxwell said, was “Nicholls State University: The Elkins-Galliano Years from 1948-1983” by Dr. Alfred Delahaye, professor emeritus of mass communication.

“I was really impressed by Dr. Delahaye’s book. As a new faculty member, I learned a lot. I know if I’m a new student, I would want to know more about our school’s history in general. The book is truly informative,” Daniels said.

“Hooray! I wrote (the book) so students, faculty and staff could use it as reference. I was pleased they used it,” Delahaye said.

Current faculty and students chose the faces on the display by voting and recommending people based on research.

Delahaye pointed out that Ida A. Bush, accidentally not posted on the display board, was the first African-American faculty member in 1971.

For recent students to qualify, they had to have graduated by last semester.

“We wanted to put some of the more recent people, such as students who have had an impact on Nicholls within the past 4-5 years,” Maxwell said.

Maxwell said he has received positive feedback from students, faculty and staff concerning the project.

Also, this month, the Student Programming Association sponsored the first African-American History mini parade at Nicholls. The SGA provided funding for concessions at a gathering that took place after the parade.

Resident Hall Assistance, on two occasions earlier this month, presented an African-American History trivia quiz to several students in the Student Union. Students received prizes according to their score.

“The point of the quizzes was to let people see how much they knew historically about what African-Americans have done in America and hopefully even learn new information from the quizzes,” Daniels said.

Chris Buckel, assistant director of Student Union Services, commented on this month’s activities.

“It’s very much needed. It promotes the attention of the African-American community. We have a lot of pride in our African-American students, faculty and staff,” he said.

Along with the SGA and the SPA, Peer Assistance, Delta Sigma Theta, Kappa Alpha Psi, Kappa Alpha Order, RHA, NAACP and College Democrats contributed and supported this month’s activities.

“It’s (African-American) History Month, but we are a university with much diversity. I feel students should be interested in the history of the school in general. No matter where we come from, or what we agree or disagree on, we all want to be successful and make sure Nicholls continues to strive for the best,” Daniels said. “Let’s shoot for the moon. We may not get there, but we may catch a star along the way.”