Competition to be held to collect items for spring foor drive

A Can Wars competition will be held on Mar. 18 as part of the Nicholls Can food drive for student organizations and academic departments to build the most creative structures from non-perishable items.
The first Nicholls Can food drive collected more than 8,100 non-perishable food items last spring.  In the fall, the food drive exceeded the University’s goal to collect 7,000 items since faculty, staff, students and local businesses, in conjunction with homecoming week activities, helped to collect more than 12,500 items.  
Jean Donegan, art department head and Nicholls Can coordinator, said the idea came to her when she thought of different ways to get more students involved with the University-wide food drive that helps raise awareness of hunger issues in the local community.  
“I was thinking of a way to involve the groups on campus with a little competitive fun,” Donegan said.  “While at the same time generating results for the food drive.”  
The competition will be held on Monday in Shaver Gym from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m.  There will be two $250 awards for the Most Creative/Most Unique and Most School Spirited designs.  Winners will also receive a framed certificate and an engraved Nicholls Can Wars Plaque.   
Lohan Kotze, SGA Treasurer, said he thought it would be exciting and different to combine the Can Wars competition with Donegan’s food drive efforts.  
“This is our first year with the competition, but I think it will be an event that gets better every year,” Kotze said.  “We’re hoping to see a lot of designs that show school spirit with anything that pertains to Nicholls, like the signature “N” or perhaps a sword.”
Organizations signed up for the competition are the Student Government Association, Student Publications, National Panhellenic Council, the Math Club, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, and Kappa Sigma.  Each team is responsible for collecting their own cans and/or other non-perishable items.  
Every structure should consist of unaltered food drive items, and each team’s creativity will be tested since there are no glue, wire, tape or magnets allowed in the competition.  Donegan said it is important for each team to come prepared with a design plan since there are only seven hours to assemble their designs.  
As the involvement with Nicholls Can continues to increase, Donegan said she is excited to see what students will produce at the Can Wars competition.  
“I’m excited to see the designs that each team will come up with,” Donegan said.  “I think it will be a lot of fun.”  
The food drive will conclude on Monday, Mar. 25 and volunteers are needed at the Environmental and Safety building to count and sort cans before they are delivered to local food banks.  
Anyone intersted in volunteering can contact Jean Donegan at 448-4597 for more information.