Colonel golf teams putt into 2002 spring season

The Nicholls State men’s golf team finished the first two rounds of the 2002 Beau Chene Collegiate Classic in 17th place, following its more round of 328 with an afternoon showing of 323. The Colonels 36-hole total of 651 puts them two shots clear of Winthrop University and one shot back of Louisiana-Monroe.

Virginia Commonwealth led the event at 34-over par 610 on the par 72, 6,725-yard layout at Beau Chene Country Oak Course.

Senior Kevin Axford led the Colonels on Day 1 of their spring season, firing rounds of 75 and 78 to sit all alone in 16th place. Newcomers Victor Ljungberg and Ron Dorland, a pair of freshmen, followed Axford with Ljungberg putting together rounds of 84 and 80 to finish the day in a tie for the 66th while Dorland bettered his morning 86 with an afternoon 80 to stand in a tie for 73rd place.

Senior Jacob Lipari (168, T76) and sophomore Billy Rase (176, T85) round out the Nicholls State contingent.

The Colonels travel to Jackson, MS for the Bell South Invitational on February 24-25.

The Nicholls State women’s golf team opened up their spring portion of its 2002 schedule today, competing in the Southern Shootout in Birmingham, AL.

The field hosted by the Birmingham Southern and contested at the par-72, 5, 840-yard Greystone Golf and Country Club.

“The course was set up really tough today,” James Shilling, head golf head coach, said. “I feel like we played well given the conditions and setup.

Leading the way was freshman Katie Kuffner who fired an opening round 86. Fellow rookie Shawna Frasier fired a 92 while newcomer Cathy Colwell and freshmen Susan Flushe and Nichole Fountain all shot 101. As a team, Nicholls State fired a 380 to stand in 11th place, six shots back of 10th place Gardner-Webb University and two strokes clear of Montevallo University.

The Lady Colonels will play next in the Centenary Ladies Invite in Shreveport on March 4-5.