That MMA Guy

Grudge match makes GSP vs. Diaz most anticipated fight of the year

Georges St-Pierre vs. Nick Diaz is far from being a typical UFC main event.
Grudge matches are few and far between in the sport of MMA, so when two fighters headline a pay-per-view event with animosity, excitement builds.
But this isn’t just a grudge match. This has the classic hero vs. villain storyline attached to it, combined with the magnitude of two huge draws fighting for a world championship.
As big as this fight is though, is it really the most anticipated bout on UFC 158’s main card this Saturday? Or is Carlos Condit vs. Johny Hendricks the real main event?
Condit vs. Hendricks is worthy of main eventing a card, but it’s no GSP/Diaz.
The co-main event at UFC 158 is just as appetizing as the main event in terms of the actual fight. Condit is a slick striker that has awkward angles and can “throw spinning s***.”
Hendricks, on the other hand, is completely different. Instead of being a finesse striker like Condit, he is a head-hunting boxer with the best knockout power in the welterweight division.
If Hendricks decides to not use his wrestling and remain standing, Condit might pick him apart. Condit is the more skilled striker, and he can give as well as he can take.
But then again, if Hendricks closes the distance well enough to land one of his hay-makers, Condit’s lights will dim. Hendricks only needs one shot, but can he endure Condit’s unorthodox strikes in order to land it?
But come on, GSP vs. Diaz is the real main attraction here.
Besides Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen II at UFC 148, no other fight in the past couple of years has captured the fan’s attention quite like this one.
Think about it. It’s Diaz, who is almost like an anti-hero in the way he opposes the lay and pray imitators inside the Octagon, going against GSP, who is finally showing some personality for a change.
GSP’s dark place basically means “No More Mr. Nice Guy.” Quite frankly, that’s awesome. It’s nice to see someone get under GSP’s skin bad enough to make him talk like a tough guy.
As far as the fight goes, GSP will likely take Diaz down and batter him with ground-and-pound for five rounds. Even if that does happen, the fight will still be entertaining because of Diaz’s ground game and trash talk. Will the emotions get to GSP? Will we have another Matt Serra-type moment? Ah, is it fight time yet?