“Hamlet” brings revenge, love and insanity to Nicholls

Hamlet%2C+played+by+Taylor+Fabre%2C+and+Laertes%2C+played+by+Cameron+Price%2C+run+through+their+sword+fighting+scenes+at+a+dress+rehearsal+for+Hamlet%2C+which+will+be+opening+tonight+and+performed+through+Sunday+in+the+Talbot+theater.+
Hamlet, played by Taylor Fabre, and Laertes, played by Cameron Price, run through their sword fighting scenes at a dress rehearsal for Hamlet, which will be opening tonight and performed through Sunday in the Talbot theater.

William Shakespeare’s “Hamlet” performed by the Nicholls Players, will bring revenge, love and insanity to life in the Mary Danos Theatre in Talbot Hall tonight through March 17.
The show will begin at 7:30 p.m. tonight through Saturday with a 2 p.m. matinee on Sunday. Anna Broussard, mass communication instructor, directed the production.
“Hamlet” is one of Shakespeare’s most famous works and one of his most performed plays. The play is about the life of the main character, Hamlet, who is distraught over the death of his father.
The cast consists of students, faculty and members of the community.  Throughout the play, the cast promises to throw a few unique twists into the performance that the audience may not expect. The cast said they chose to utilize the text according to how they perceived it.
Taylor Fabre, Louisiana State University graduate from Houma and actor in  the lead role of Hamlet, finds it ironic that he is portraying Hamlet in this production.
“What is interesting is that Hamlet is my most hated character of Shakespeare’s plays and “Hamlet,” the play, is my most hated of Shakespeare’s works,” Fabre said. “This makes the concept of being Hamlet really weird, but because I thought it was going to be a challenge [I accepted.]”
Although Fabre described Hamlet to be a depressing character and what others describe as “emo before people were emo,” the character’s emotional personality allows him to be versatile in his portrayal of the character.
Fabre plans to bring his character to life by using his “acrobatic abilities” to help capture the audience’s attention.
Scott Carroll, media and film graduate from Union, N.J. and actor in the role of Claudius the king, described “Hamlet” as an enjoyable, generational experience.
“Every time it is performed, each generation adapts it differently, and each generation finds something in it that the one before it may not have seen,” Carroll explained. “It is always great to find something new in this original text and that is why it stands the test of time.”
Originally, the Nicholls Players were supposed to perform “Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead,” which is based on “Hamlet,” but due to scheduling conflicts “Hamlet” was the alternate choice.
Sarah Ballard, sociolody senior from Hamden, Conn. playing Rosencrantz, said this classic show is something she is proud to be a part of.
“This is one of those great timeless plays that you can modify and interpret over and over again,” Ballard said. “It never really gets old.”
Along with the cast’s unique interpretation of the plot, they also mentioned two characters that stand out among the rest: the ghost and the gravedigger, both played by English professor Richmond Eustis.
“The gravedigger is a comic relief, and the ghost is someone who keeps you at the edge of your seat and keeps you enthralled and absorbed in the play,” Elizabeth Shirley, education junior from Simpson playing Gertrude the queen, said.
Cheyenne Miller, English sophomore from Thibodaux who will portray Hamlet’s love, Ophelia, said she is grateful for the opportunity she has to play this character and hopes the audience enjoys the performance.
“The audience can definitely look forward to plot twists that we have added and a really great time,” Miller said.
Julia Franks, education freshman from Franklin playing Polonius, said she likes the characters in the show, especially her own, because of their  skewed vision of their own importance.
“Polonius really just needs to get over herself,” Franks said.
Sara Trax, marketing sophomore from Houma playing Guildenstern, said her favorite part is watching the other characters on stage.
“I would say this is more of a comedy than a tragedy,” Trax said. “I love watching Frankie [Julia Franks] play Polonius because she’s so funny in character.”
Alana Buquoi, athletic training junior from Marrero, said she agrees that this version of “Hamlet” has more comedy than she expected and a lot of action.
“I wasn’t expecting it to be as funny as it is,” Buquoi said. “I also like all the stunts and the gun and other weapons that we use. I think it’s pretty cool.”
Patrice Gilton, mass communication freshman from Thibodaux playing Macellus, said she is excited to be one of the few who makes it through the tragedy.
“I don’t die,” Gilton said. “Everybody else dies.”
Cameron Price, history sophomore from Burris, will make his on-stage debut in “Hamlet” and he said his cast mates are what keep him interested.
“I love the people in this play,” Price said. “They’re really great and I’ve enjoyed every moment I’ve spent here.
Koryn Boyd, art freshman from Point-Aux-Chenes, said the cast not only bonds with each other, but also with their own chracters.
“I have a connection with my character, Horatio,” Boyd said.
General admission is $10 and $5 with a Student ID. Tickets can be purchased at the door and proceeds go to the Nicholls Players’ budget for future performances.