Greek week celebrate Greek life

The University’s Greek community will celebrate its annual Greek Week from March 18-22 by participating in group philanthropy projects, Songfest and many other activities geared toward bringing together the entire Greek community.
Tommy Ponson, director of student life, said, “Greek Week is a time set aside to relax, celebrate, and honor those who have worked.  We do have games throughout the week, but we set aside time to do community service projects as a whole.  Greek Week is a week that we come together and select a philanthropy to support financially.”
Groups taking part in Greek Week include the Interfraternity Council, National Panhellenic Conference and National Pan-Hellenic Council.  These three groups overlook all Greek sororities and fraternities on campus.
Anthony Naquin, president of the interfraternity council, said, “As IFC president, my goal is to see all of the chapters work together instead of competing against one another.”
Greek Week 2013 will begin on Sunday, March 17, with a flag football tournament, which will support Refuge 127, a local non-profit organization that assists and supports orphans in the community.
In keeping with the idea of working together as the entire Greek community, teams for the flag football tournament must be co-ed and include members of multiple sorority and fraternity chapters.
On March 18, students will travel to the gravesite of Colonel Francis T. Nicholls and his family to clean, paint and leave flowers.
On March 21, Sororities and fraternities will participate in the annual Songfest competition.  Ponson explained that some organizations begin preparing for Songfest several months in advance.  
“Songfest is one of our larger fundraisers to assist us in donating back to the community,” Ponson said.
Although the recipient of funds raised during Songfest for this year has not been determined yet, Ponson said in the past, money has been donated to the Nicholls CAN! project as well as other Greek members who needed help at the time or were ill.
“I’m looking forward to Songfest the most because that is what a lot of the organizations put most of their work into,” Hailey Silverii, president of Order of Omega, said.
After Songfest there will be an all-Greek social at The Foundry on the Bayou.  Ponson said this gives the students a chance to socialize as a whole and the social was established as a part of Greek Week upon request of the Greeks.
“Each year we try to do something different and refocus on what we are doing and what need to do to make it better and to bring everybody together,” Ponson said.
Greek Week will conclude on March 22 when students assist with a festival at the Bayou Community Academy.