Technology training offered at Nicholls for current, future teachers

PT3, otherwise known as Re-tooling Teacher Preparation: Preparing Tomorrow’s Teachers to Use Technology, is a joint project between the College of Education and College of Arts and Sciences aimed at instructing current and future teachers to use technology. The program is designed to train education students to employ technology through using computers in the classroom and informing students of new advancements. Select University instructors teach the sessions.

“The program is meant to help education majors so they can graduate confidently knowing how to use instructional technology,” Gregg Stall, professor of education and project coordinator, said.

Stall said the project helps students observe new technological ideas by working with trained faculty members.

He said many classrooms are equipped with computers and other technological devices available for use, but instructors and students are not thoroughly educated on how to use them.

“We are working with education students, so when they leave the University, they’ll be able to enter those classrooms and use the technology,” he said.

The project was created from a three-year, $1.3 million grant awarded to Nicholls last semester by the U.S. Department of Education. The PT3 project began this spring.

Stall said the program is beneficial to student teachers as well as the education department and the Arts and Sciences department faculty members. Twenty-four faculty members are currently active in the program.

The Department of Education, through the PT3 program, is in conjunction with several teachers from the surrounding parishes in Region III. These K-12 instructors are trained to use educational technology in grade schools and high schools.

“Because of the involvement [with K-12 schools], Nicholls now has the opportunity to establish a leadership role in the field of instructional technology. I think that says a lot about the University,” Stall said.

All education majors are eligible to enroll in the program. Applications can be picked up at a drop-box near 139 Polk Hall or students can also register at the PT3 section on the Nicholls home web page at www.nicholls.edu