Summer football camps are held on Nicholls State campus

Nicholls running back coach Keith Kent watches over Joshua Robinson, East Ascension High School, and Zach Calhoun, Evangeline High School.
Photo by: Danielle Stringer

The sounds of whistles and cleats have started on campus with the Jesse Daigle Offensive/Defensive Line Camp just wrapping up and the start of the Manning Passing Academy July 6-9.

Daigle’s camp brought over 450 campers to the University for the three days of learning the various techniques of blocking, pass rushing and pass defense. The camp at Nicholls is the first of two, with the other camp being held at Stephen F. Austin University from July 8-11. Different high schools from across Louisiana, Texas and Mississippi made up the camp roster, with some schools bringing their entire offensive or defensive lines to get early practice before the start of the high school football season.

Coaches from the different high schools, along with the Colonels’ football staff, were on-hand to aid the campers with on-field instruction while the drills were being performed. Louis Oubre, a coach at Daigle’s camp, was a former standout lineman from McDonough #35 in New Orleans who went on to play collegiate football at Oklahoma University, eventually moving on to play with the Saints.

Oubre enjoys working with the campers because he wants to teach the fundamentals he learned that eventually got him to the NFL. “It’s great to see these athletes come out here and want to learn the aspects of the game that are overlooked,” Oubre said.
A camp like this is also beneficial to coaches who get an opportunity to look at players up close, with the players getting an opportunity to experience college life.

“Having camps like this at Nicholls gives us coaches an opportunity to look at players that can have an immediate impact on a football team,” Colonels head football coach Jay Thomas said.

This is Nicholls second year hosting the Manning Passing Academy, which is widely considered as the nation’s premier quarterback and receiver camp.

On Saturday July 8, the “Air it Out” skills competition, will display the talents of the pro quarterbacks and will be open to the public for a cost of $1 for children 12 years and under and $5 for adults, with proceeds going towards the Nicholls athletic department.