Mr. & Ms. Nicholls 2013

NW chats with the winners
The Mr. and Ms. Nicholls winners, Gabby Marcello and Matthew Jewell, pose with other nominees

Matthew Jewell, Student Government Association president, and Gabby Marcello, nursing junior from Thibodaux, were crowned Mr. and Ms. Nicholls at the Student Programming Association’s annual Crawfish Day last Friday.

Q: Were you shocked when you won Mr./Ms. Nicholls?
 Jewell:  I don’t believe anyone who was in the top three would have been shocked. When I look back at my time as a freshman, I am shocked at how far I’ve come as a student.
Marcello:  I was definitely shocked to be selected a Ms. Nicholls!

Q: What activities are you involved with on campus?
Jewell:  SGA, Kappa Sigma, College Republicans, Circle K Club and many University committees.
Marcello:  I am currently involved in the Student Government Association, serving as a Senator of the College of Arts and Sciences.  I am the newly elected president of the Pre-Professional Medical Association, where I served as secretary this past year.  I am also involved in Delta Zeta, in which I have held various chair positions.  I also serve on numerous University committees such as the Student Advisory Board, Rec Center Advisory Board, Parking Appeals Committee, Student Rights and Grievances Committee, Nicholls Can Committee and a few more.

Q: Which activity is your favorite?  Why?
 Jewell:  Kappa Sigma is, by far, my favorite because I’ve made life-long friends while having the time of my life.
Marcello: Well, I can’t say that I have a particular favorite activity due to the fact that I love them all. I love being involved on Nicholls’ campus and within our neighboring community.

Q: How does it feel to receive this honor?
 Jewell:  I’m very humbled and honored that students voted for me to wear the title of Mr. Nicholls 2013.
 Marcello:  I am so privileged to have received this honor.  Being a native of the Thibodaux area, I can easily say that this award not only has campus recognition, but also city recognition. I was so blessed to have received this honor, not only for myself but for my family as well.

Q: What are your hobbies?
 Jewell:  Hunting, fishing, golf and hanging out with friends
Marcello:  My hobbies include socializing with my peers and various activities like water skiing and fishing.

Q: Describe yourself in three words.