Nicholls football team earns its first win of the season

The Colonels’ offensive line preparing for another play against Evangel University on Saturday night.

The Nicholls football team enters their bye week at 1-2, and for head coach Charlie Stubbs and his football team, it is all about building off of their 73-17 win against Evangel.
“It’s momentum and putting a smile on these kids’ faces,” Stubbs said. “It’s all about confidence. When you put together a schedule like we do, sometimes kids can lose their confidence.”
The 73 points scored in the game marked the second highest total points scored in a single game in Nicholls State University history. The Colonels’ record for most points scored in a game is 77, which was set in 1994.
But before the Colonels defeated Evangel, they dropped two straight games against FBS opponents. Nicholls lost to South Alabama 9-3 in what became their season opener following the postponement of the Oregon State game and then the Colonels lost to Tulsa 66-16.
But after the Colonels posted a school record, 751 yards of total offense against Evangel last Saturday, junior running back Marcus Washington has faith in the resurgence of the offense.
“The offense is looking better than it has in the past,” Washington said. “We don’t have everything together right now. The receivers are coming along, the offensive line is making strides and I think after we get more games under our belt, we’re going to be great.
In the win, Washington notched the second 100-yard game in his career. He recorded 110 yards rushing with two touchdowns, while senior running back Jesse Turner posted 98 yards and a score.
With the bye week this weekend, the Colonels can heal up and get more players physically prepared for Southland Conference play. In fact, Stubbs said that the injuries are a key factor in separating the Colonels from a contender and a pretender.
“The biggest thing that keeps sticking its ugly head out at us right now is injuries,” Stubbs said. “If we can get healthy and get everybody out here that we have in the program, we can be more than a competitive team.”
The Colonels enter their matchup against Central Arkansas picked to finish last by the Southland Conference by the league’s coaches and sports information directors at its annual media day back in July.
Washington likes playing the role of the underdog.
“I love it because no one expects anything out of you,” Washington said. “Going out there every game knowing that everybody is expecting us to lose helps you play harder.  Really, we have to be our own motivation.”