Deans of colleges give graduating students advice for life

Photo by: Heidi Domangue

“I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do,” are the words spoken by Edward Hale, American author and clergyman, during the second half of the 19th century. Badiollah Asrabadi, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, said these are words that he uses to push him though life everyday. He also says Hale’s words are advice he passes on to graduating students.He also reminds them that although school may be over, their education is not. It still continues. Asrabadi suggests thinking of entering the workforce just as turning a new page.

“A new chapter in their life has been opened, and each day is a page in that chapter,” Asrabadi says. “Each night before going to bed, review that page to see how much it is filled, and think for tomorrow. See if you can do better than today.”

And when choosing a job, Asrabadi suggests not thinking about the here and now and thinking more of five to 10 years from now. It is important to find a job that you want to do and are capable of doing because you could be doing it for just that long or even longer.

Asrabadi also often encourages graduates to further their education with a master’s degree or Ph.D. But whether graduates are deciding on entering the work force or staying in school, “never, ever underestimate your abilities.”

O. Cleveland Hill, dean of the College of Education, encourages his students heading out into the work force to prepare their body as well as their mind.

“They need to take care of themselves physically because the job market and the workplace today are very stressful places,” Hill says. “The better health you are in, the better you will be able to withstand the trial and tribulations of it.”

Hill also tells his students who will mostly be working with children and teenagers in local schools to remember that they will be influencing the future leaders of the world.

“My advice to them would be to remember that they are professionals at all times, and that they have the capability to impact more lives than in most other professions,” Hill says. “They should always have that in the back of their minds.”

Peter DiMicelli, dean of the Chef John Folse Culinary Institute, hopes that now that his students will be entering the real world, they will be prepared for the challenges in front of them.

“You are now on your own, somewhat more responsible for your actions and decisions as you set out to make a difference in this world,” DiMicelli says.

When students ask DiMicelli about their future, he often gives them the advice he was once given by his professor, “know what you value, lead from your heart and with what you believe in, and be willing to take a risk.”

He also encourages his students “to live their personal and working life with a passion, creating new and exciting opportunities,” some of the traits he hopes students have already begun to establish while in school.

Shaun Mauldin, dean of the College of Business Administration, considers the instillment of integrity and honesty in his students as one of the most important qualities his students will carry with them.

“Integrity and honesty are very important in business and life in general,” Mauldin said. “They are things that I hope our students take with time.

Integrity and honesty are not the only things the administration hopes the student leaves Nicholls with, though.

DiMicelli hopes students carry “the ideals developed through hard work and hours of study.”

Hill hopes students retain the idea that their education received at Nicholls is just at good as any education they would get in the country.

“They do not have to feel that they are going to be at deficit,” Hill says. “They are well prepared and what they get here will get them through.”

Asrabadi hopes that he, and the rest of the administation have done the their job in training the graduates to make the right decisions in life and trained them to be capable of doing a job as good or better than anyone else.”

“That is our mission and goal, and I hope we have achieved it.