Gift ideas abound for future graduates’ wish lists

Josh Byrnes, psychology senior from Vidalia, picks out a Nicholls alumni T-shirt from the Nicholls bookstore for a graduating friend.

Graduating seniors are looking forward to finally receiving their diplomas, a payoff for their years of studying, cramming for exams, pulling all-nighters and midnight pig-out sessions. They will soon walk across the stage in their caps and gowns. However, the diploma with their name on it and their degree is not the only thing graduates are looking forward to receiving for graduation. They want appreciation from friends and family for their years of hard work. Yes, they want gifts!

So, what kind of gifts do they want? Well, there is the obvious: money and more money. They want it in paper, plastic, cash and coins.

Those in the Greek system that are now going alum and will no longer be an active member of their fraternity/sorority want things to remember their organization by, and there are many items that can do that: license plate covers, sweatshirts, mugs, pins, pendants, charms, hats, etc. You name it they have it. These can be purchased from any Greek Web site or Greek-friendly bookstore.

Another popular gift is personalized engraving. At Things Remembered in Houma’s Southland Mall, there is a variety of graduation gifts that can be personalized. They offer chrome pencil and pen sets, flasks and beer mugs, a silver and mahogany book clock, calculators and even more pen sets.

Some students will likely be receiving special gifts from their parents in the form of money or jewelry.

“For graduation my parents promised me a new Rolex,” Virgilio Gurdian, senior in business administration from Nicaragua, said. “I am also getting some cash from my uncles and aunts.”

Things Remembered offers jewelry that can be personalized for any special graduate such as their sterling silver treasured heart bracelet. They have a graduation charm bracelet with charms in the shapes of cap and tassel, diploma, plate for initials and the graduation year.

Also, blankets with the graduation year, shadowboxes to hold graduation or other college memories, graduation teddy bears and photo albums are offered at Things Remembered and Hallmark stores.

If interested in a certain gift, or want to check out the other gifts that are available before going all the way to the mall, check out the Things Remembered Web site at thingsremembered.com.

Some students are dreaming big when it comes to making their graduation gift wish list, asking for cars or vacations.

“For graduation, I want to go backpacking in Europe,” Cody Stogner, secondary education senior from Picayune, Miss., said.

For graduation, other students are hoping for acceptance to a school to continue their education at a higher level.

“Hopefully I will get an acceptance letter into law school,” Devon Bardin, government senior from DeRidder, said. “I am also going to take a trip out of the country with my friend who is also graduating.”

Whatever they receive, however big or small the package may be, graduating seniors are looking forward to their biggest gift, a diploma and degree for their job well done.