Commencement traditions continue

Commencement is defined by the Encarta encyclopedia as the beginning of something, a graduation ceremony during which degrees and diplomas are conferred at high schools, colleges and universities or the day on which this ceremony takes place.There are many things involved in these often-long ceremonies such as odd-looking caps and gowns, a tassel and a diploma. But why do we have to wear these clothes, and what do they and the other objects mean? These answers can be found in history books and encyclopedias. Here is what Encarta has to say.

The Baccalaureate ceremony of graduation dates back to a statute of 1432 at Oxford University, according to which each bachelor was supposed to deliver a speech in Latin as a part of his academic undertaking. It was a ceremony during which the dedicated and earnest students were recognized for their outstanding performances during the school year.

The commencement is a major part of the graduation ceremony. It is when the person who presides over the graduation ceremony hands out the degrees to each graduate. The first college to hold a commencement ceremony in America was Harvard in 1642.

Class rings are not as popular in college as they are in high school, but some college graduates do order a class ring. Class rings did not become popular until the 1900s but were first used in 1835 at the United States Military Academy at West Point. The basis of the class ring comes from the Egyptians who thought their scarab rings promised them eternal life. Their rings were worn till death and then were buried with them, placed over their hearts. Roman soldiers assumed their rings would bring them victory.

Until 500 BC, commoners could not wear gold rings. In the 19th century, Queen Victoria had copies of her gold wedding ring made for the ladies in her court, creating the theory that a class ring in gold represents wealth, success and belonging to a special group.

Today, class rings are a symbol of school pride and the diploma. It was originally worn on the right hand on the third finger because Knights thought there it would bring more strength and luck, but it can now be worn on any finger or on a chain around the neck.

Diplomas were originally hand-written on sheepskin and rolled up and tied with a ribbon. Today, most diplomas are not rolled but are rather in a leather binder so that it will be easier to frame the document.

The song that the graduates process in and out to is called “Pomp and Circumstance.” It was composed by Sir Edward Elgar and was passed to America from English universities.

Caps and gowns were certain colors, depending on the degree, until the 1950s when caps and gowns first reflected the school’s colors. The academic dress began in the 12th or 13th century when universities were first being formed. The dress was clerical garb because most medieval scholars were involved in the church, and that was what they wore most of the time. It is unknown why the cap is square.

The tassel attached to the middle of the cap is worn to the right. After receiving the diploma or degree, the tassel is flipped to the left. If you are receiving a master’s degree, the tassel is supposed to begin on the left side, and then flipped to the right.

The cap toss at the end of the ceremony, which was started in 1912 at the Annapolis Naval Academy, is a sign of celebrating the end of the journey towards that diploma or degree.