College becomes Hebert family experience

Catrina Hebert, English sophomore from Houma, attends Nicholls with her father, Chris Hebert, art junior from Houma.
Photo by: Brook Boutte

Catrina Hebert, English sophomore from Houma, attended school with both her mother and father at one point. Hebert started college when she was 21. Her mom resigned for medical reasons; she currently attends Nicholls with her father. Q: What was it like to have your mother in some of your classes?
A: My mother was in my sociology and geology classes. It was a totally different experience. It was really weird when people in class heard me call her “Mom.”

Q: How do you feel about your parents going to school with you?
A: I am proud of them for coming to school. I do not feel like they watch me. I think that it is great that they come to school.
Q: What is your dad going to school for?
A: He wants to be a career student. Once he is almost done with one major, he changes to another.

Q: Do you hang out with your mom and dad at school?
A: I used to go eat lunch with my mom, and I did meet her in the Quad when we both had breaks. I also used to meet her at the coffee shop.

Q: Why did your parents decide to come to school?
A: My dad started when I did. He is disabled and did not have anything else to do. My mom started because she was tired of staying at home all the time.

Q: Do your parents ride with you to school?
A: My dad drives himself, but my mother did ride with me because we had classes together.

Q: Do you help your parents with their schoolwork?
A: My dad does it all by himself. I used to help my mom study.

Q: Do you see your parents often?
A: I really do not see them very much, other than my mom when I would bring her to school.