Nicholls awaits bond sales

The University is still waiting for bonds to be sold in order to begin the construction of the additional parking lots, according to Mike Davis, assistant vice president for administration.As of now, Davis said that the bonds will most likely be sold on May 10 or 11.

“If that takes place, the construction of the parking lots will begin shortly after that,” Davis said.

The contractors are “ready to go,” according to Davis, but the University could not issue a contract until the bonds were sold. If everything goes according to plan, Davis said that construction should begin in May.

Davis said that he does not see the construction of the parking lots having much of an effect on students over the summer because there is a sufficient amount of parking spaces for students attending summer school.

The parking lots that will be constructed are north of Ellender residence hall in the green space between Ellender and the parking lot on the side of the cafeteria, the parking lot near Bowie road on the side of the tennis courts and the rest of the green space by the green house, according to Davis.

As far as cafeteria renovations are concerned, Davis said that he expects to see construction begin sometime in the fall semester and finish by the following June. The architect is not finished designing on that end, according to Davis.

“He needed to hire some consultants, and because we were unable to pay him any additional funds, he has been on hold,” Davis said. “He’s getting ready to crank back up again and go full force on that project.”

Davis said that he is fairly optimistic about the project’s completion dates.

“I’ve had timelines after timelines not met because of various problems when trying to complete bond sales,” Davis said.

Katrina is to blame for these timelines not being met, Davis said. The hurricane affected bond markets and has caused problems with the University’s construction projects, according to Davis.

The University initially planned for the construction of the parking lots to begin in November and be completed by the beginning of this semester. The cafeteria renovation was also planned to commence in November and was predicted to be complete by August.

“Each time we’ve had a timeline set up, we’ve missed it, and it was pushed back,” Davis said. “I feel pretty good that the bonds are going to be sold early next week.”

Davis said that he has been in contact with the investment banker, bond council and the University’s financial adviser. All of them, Davis said, are feeling good “this time around.”

“I’m cautiously optimistic,” Davis said.