Culinary competition held

The John Folse Culinary Institute held an in-school competition on Oct. 8 for students to earn a spot at competing in the regional level of the San Pellegrino Almost Famous Chef Competition.

Paul Terrebonne, culinary senior from Larose, won the competition against eight other culinary students. Terrebonne’s winning dish was pan-roasted speckle trout, Abita Beer rice, fresh corn sauce and pickled vegetable slaw.

Chef Randy Cheramie, executive director and instructor at the John Folse Culinary Institute, said that “the food was at its highest level this year. I’m proud of all these guys.”

Competitors had two hours to prepare four plates of the same course. Three of the plates were for a panel of judges to critique based on plate composition, balance and flavor. The fourth plate was for students to use as a display while they explained their dish to the judges.

While students prepared their dishes, a floor judge walked around to ensure sanitation practices were being utilized, such as wearing gloves during plate preparation. Cheramie said the competition involved everything the students learned in class.

In addition to the cooking aspect of the competition, the judges also took note of each competitors’ personality. According to Cheramie, the competition attracts a great deal of media attention at the regional and national level.

“They have to present themselves in a way the judges will like,” he said.

The Culinary Institute has participated in the San Pellegrino Almost Famous Chef Competition for the past five years. Each year a student from Nicholls has advanced to the national level of competition.

Cheramie enjoys sending students to this competition because it is sponsored by Nestle Waters North America Inc., and students have the chance to participate without any out-of-pocket expense.

Terrebonne will move on to the next level of competition, which will most likely be held at the new Culinary Institute of America in San Antonio, Texas, sometime in February.

At the regional level, Terrebonne is expected to fix eight plates of the same dish for a panel of judges. If Terrebonne makes it to the national level, he will travel to the Culinary Institute of America at Greystone in Napa Valley, Calif.

In California, students participate in the mystery basket competition where they are given a basket of ingredients which they have to turn into an entrée within two hours. Students also have the chance to cook their signature dish from the regional competition, except this time it must be prepared for 200 guests. From this dish, guests will participate in a people’s choice award and vote on which competitor has the best dish.

Competitors at the national level have the chance to win a $20,000 grand prize, an appearance on the Today Show and a one-year contract with an acclaimed chef.

Terrebonne will begin working with Cheramie and other chefs at Nicholls for the competition in February. He said he is excited about what the upcoming competitions have to offer since there are so many opportunities to network with famous chefs.

“I get to show off what I can do, and I get to learn a lot along the way, since no dish is perfect,” Terrebonne said.

Although this is his first year participating in the San Pellegrino Almost Famous Competition, Terrebonne said he has enjoyed competition since he was part of a team that won second place at a jambalaya cook-off sponsored by Race for the Cure.