‘Sopranos’ has Bailey singing praises

Violent, controversial, politically incorrect, sexist-these are just a few of the words used by people who would rather see the Sopranos off the air. The show has been attacked by defamation groups blaming the series for stereotyping Italian-Americans and organizations who object to the series for its violence. They all miss an important aspect of the series that sets it apart from most other things on television: quality. And quality it has. It is hard to find another show on television that beats the Sopranos for good writing, great acting, and clever dialougue. Even details like camerawork and music, things taken for granted on television, are well thought out on this show. It is also extremely funny in an offbeat way, more than most so-called comedies on the mainstream networks.

For those who have yet to be introduced to the ‘families’ of the Sopranos, a little preface is in order. The show revolves around the main character Tony, excellently played by James Gandolfini. Tony is a mafia leader in New Jersey, whose chaotic life is divided by his two families. One is his biological family, dominated by the overbearing mother Livia, nagging wife Carmela, and two angst-filled kids Meadow and Anthony Jr. The other family consists of his brigade of gangsters: ‘nephew’ Christopher, Paulie Walnuts, Silvio, Big Pussy, and his Uncle Junior, who believes he is the boss but usually has the position in title only.

There is also Dr. Melfi, Tony’s psycharchrist who he sees because the chaos of his life drove him to a nervous breakdown. The scenes with Dr. Melfi add a sophisticated dimension to the show.

Tony is old-fashioned and does not believe in modern psychology. He says he believes in the strong silent type, like Gary Cooper, who kept their problems to themselves. Yet he innately goes to therapy because he needs the outlet and is also attracted to Dr. Melfi.

For those of us who unfortunately do not have cable, it is good to know that HBO is releasing the Sopranos on VHS and DVD. The latest edition is the entire second season, released about a week ago and available to rent at most video stores.

In the second season several new characters are added to the mix, who are even sleazier and less redeeming then main cast of Tony and his crew. One is Furio, a long-haired, somewhat feminine-looking guy straight from the ‘old country,’ who turns out to be a crazy, extremely brutal mofo when it comes down to business. Another is Richie Aprile, a fellow mobster who just got out of prison and has a problem with Tony’s authority. Richie gets in more trouble with Tony when he runs over and cripples Peter “Beansie” Gaeta for not giving him his payments while in the big house.

Then there is Janice, Tony’s sister, who is returning from Seattle to take care of their bed-ridden mother Livia. However, Livia is dead in Tony’s eyes for what she did to him in the first season, and he resents Janice for trying to help. Janice is also very open-minded, and Tony thinks she is a bad influence on Meadow. Then Janice hooks up with Richie Aprile, who used to go out with her in high school. That really sets Tony off.

It is important not to reveal too much about the plot of the Sopranos, the best thing about the show is the spontaneity and unpredictable nature of the plot. You literally do not know what will happen next. It is a refreshing change from the typical television program.

When it comes down to it, “The Sopranos” ranks next to “The Godfather” and “Goodfellas” in the canon of great mafia sagas. James Gandolfini’s performance as Tony Soprano is every bit as subtle and singular as Brando or Pacino. While the dialogue is filled with profanity and the plot is drenched in violence, there is always something profound about the show to redeem it. Most of all, “The Sopranos” is fun. It can be sophisticated without being pretentious, and it is always interesting to watch.