SGA to host 5K Walk/Run Saturday

The third annual SGA 5K Walk/Run will take place on March 25 from 9-11 am. The entry fee will be $7 for individual students, staff members, alumni and high school students. For teams it will be 5 dollars for each person. For the general public the entry fee is 10 dollars for individuals and eight dollars for the general public teams. A team must consist of three to five people.

“Everyone is encouraged to make donations,” Olinda Ricard, culinary junior and SGA vice president from Thibodaux, said.

The route will begin at the corner of Leighton and Madewood drive. Participates will make their way down Maywood Drive making a left on Ardoyne, left onto Acadia Drive, a left on Gleenwood Drive and a final left back onto Madewood drive, returning to the starting point. The course will be repeated three times for a total of 3.2 miles.

“Last year the 5K Walk/Run had a total of 34 registered people. The race was held the day before Relay for Life,” Ricard said. “Although there will be several other events going on this day, we are hoping for at least 50 walker/runners this year.”

Twenty-five percent of the money collected will go to the American Red Cross Southeastern Chapter and 75 percent will go to the NSU Disability Accessibility Fund. The money used at Nicholls will be for updating and providing electronic access doors and ramps, replacing door handles for easier access and the instillation of Braille signage where it is needed.

“Some of the areas on campus that will be improved are Gouaux Hall, Elkins, Ayo and Peltier,” Ricard said.

To sign up for this event you can stop by the Student Government Association office, obtain a registration paper online at www.nicholls.edu/sga, or register in the Bollinger Memorial Student Union on Monday, March 20-24.