Nicholls freshmen turn in record-setting test scores

According to a recent average of composite test scores, Nicholls’ freshmen are destined for impending success as a result of record-setting test scores.
Traditional first-time students enrolled in the fall semester enter with American College Testing scores exceeding the average composite on a state level by an astounding 2.25 and surpassing the national average by 0.85. These students also demonstrate another achievement by excelling the average composite from the previous academic year by 0.39.  Individual composite scores of 20 paired with a high school cumulative grade point average of 2.5 grant the Taylor Opportunity Program for Students scholarship, eligible for all Louisiana residents meeting these specific criterions. Statistics show that incoming freshmen have increased TOPS awarded enrollment by 2.2 percent with approximately 62 percent of freshmen entering with the scholarship.
Last year, Nicholls had graduated its largest class of seniors, exceeding previous trends and breaking a new record of 1,342 degrees. Elaine “Laynie” Barrilleaux, Vice President of Academic Affairs, says, “Several variables factor into the relationship of students demonstrating success upon entering and then graduating, and it is all determined ultimately by student retention.” Although combined undergraduate and graduate enrollment has seen a decrease this fall, it is projected that to continue increasing trends of success, it all depends on retention-the will for students to persist in academia.
Courtney Cassard, Director of Enrollment, agrees that it is natural that when better students come in and demonstrate academic success, more will graduate. She also agrees that several factors exist in determining graduation statistics, but the impressive ACT scores indicate that trends should continue to rise. She says that new degree options exist, and students are showing interest in utilizing online courses.
Seven new degree programs are offered by Nicholls Online, which began in January. These programs were added to provide more incentive to students who may not be able to attend traditional on-campus classes. Nicholls Online is expected to appeal to many; thus, as the program grows, so should enrollment. The first semester of online degree programs currently has 174 students registered.
Another catalyst to expanding degree options is the development of the maritime management concentration in the College of Business Administration. This program exists as an undergraduate degree option but also as a certification for non-students.
Graduate student enrollment has increased due to the new Master of Science degree in nursing. Students from this master’s program alone have increased graduate enrolment by over 9 percent since it began last spring. Almost 10 percent of all students enrolled at Nicholls are graduate students, and this figure depicts a new high.
Incoming freshman Justin Rogers from Cut Off says, “I came to Nicholls because of the distance-family is close by, a lot of friends also come here.” Rogers has entered Nicholls with a high school GPA of 3.78 obtained from South Lafourche High School and an ACT composite of 27. He also says financial aid factored into him choosing Nicholls. He is not only the recipient of TOPS Honors Scholarship, but also two scholarships applicable towards the university.
Fellow freshman Dominique Thomas enters Nicholls with a high school GPA of 3.75 and ACT composite of 21. She attended Bonnabel High School in Kenner. Thomas says, “Honestly, I chose Nicholls because I always heard that they had a good culinary arts program. I actually switched to dietetics because it seems like an interesting field to get into, and I wanted to try something new to get out of my comfort zone and learn something. I feel that college should be a learning experience for everyone.”
Incoming freshmen are overzealous to engage in the experiences that Nicholls has to offer, and due to the ever-increasing requirements and demanding job market, these students are essentially trained to perform competitively.
“I plan on being successful and doing my absolute best. It is also important to stay focused while balancing fun to have a positive mindset,” Thomas said.  “Students have to strive for the best scores because without a diploma, it could be difficult to find a good job.”
Both students are proud of not only themselves, but also the entire freshman class for demonstrating excellence. The pressure of college can be a major stressor, but first time freshmen of 2013 are already onto a great start.
Statistics regarding 2013 enrollment can be found at the Nicholls website