Football defensive coordinator leaves Colonels for Georgia Tech

Nicholls State head football coach Jay Thomas announced last week that defensive coordinator Charles Kelly has resigned to become the new special teams coordinator for the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets.”It’s the nature of the business and what people get in this business to do,” Thomas said. “When you have success with your program, people are going to look at the guys that are making it happen.”

Kelly came to Nicholls in 2002 as a defensive back coach. After the 2003 season, Kelly was promoted to defensive coordinator where he helped the Colonels’ defense finish first overall in the Southland Conference and 17th overall in NCAA Division I-AA. The Colonels finished fist overall in rushing defense in the country, and second in passing defense.

Kelly said he was thrilled at the opportunity to coach at Nicholls.

“This has been the best four years of my coaching career at Nicholls State University,” Kelly said. “There is no doubt I wouldn’t have this opportunity if it wasn’t for the coaches, players and people that I’ve had the privilege of working with here at Nicholls.”

Under Kelly, the Colonels produced 28 All-SLC players and two All-Americans, including former two-time All-American cornerback Chris Thompson, who now plays for the Chicago Bears.

“We’re happy for him and his family,” Thomas said. “It’s a great opportunity for him. He’s done an outstanding job here, and we’re pulling for him to have success over there. Our motto since way back has been ‘just keep moving on,’ and that’s what we’re going to do.”

Thomas said he was contacted by Georgia Tech coach Chan Gailey towards the end of recruiting about interviewing Kelly, who is also the team’s recruiting coordinator.

However, Thomas requested that Gailey wait until recruiting was done before interviewing Kelly for the position.

“He was gracious enough to hold off on the interview until we got done with all of our recruiting,” Thomas said. “That says a lot about him and his program. The situation was handled first-class on Georgia Tech’s end and Coach Kelly’s end. It worked out fine for both sides.”

In a press release, Gailey said he’s excited to have Kelly aboard.

“Charles Kelly has excelled in all phases of coaching,” Gailey said. “He will be a valuable addition to our staff both on the field and in recruiting.”

As far as a replacement goes, Thomas said it would take about a month before a final decision is made on what to do.

“I’m the type of person that doesn’t like a whole lot of change. I’ve always been that way,” Thomas said. “Certainly I’ll consider looking within the current staff first and then we’ll take it from there.”

Prior to coming to Nicholls, Kelly served as the defensive coordinator and linebacker coach at Eufaula (Ala.) High School. While at Eufaula, Kelly coached a defense that allowed 194 yards a game and was ranked 5th in Alabama in scoring defense.

Kelly also spent time as defensive coordinator for Henderson State and Jacksonville State, who at the time was a member of the Southland Conference.

While at Henderson State, Kelly’s defense held opponents to 135 yards per game.

During his career at Jacksonville State, Kelly also served as a graduate assistant at Auburn, his alma mater, where he was part of an 11-0 season in 1993. Kelly initially played defensive back for the Tigers, graduating in 1990 with a degree in secondary math education.

In addition to Thompson, Kelly also coached four other players who have played in the NFL: Delvin Hughley, Calvin Jackson, Chris Schelling and Dell McGee.

Thomas said Kelly will be missed at Nicholls.

“We wish him and his family all the best,” Thomas said. “He was a great coach, but just as fine of a person that you’ll ever want to meet.