First lady active in community life

Along with volunteering for many things on campus, First Lady Becky Hulbert is also involved in many community activities. As the president’s wife, however, Hulbert has no written responsibilities. She was also first lady at the University of Montana. Q: What is it like to be the first lady of Nicholls?
A: My life is very busy. Steve (Hulbert) was vice president before, so that has helped me adjust. Our life has a very public existence. Everyone knows us, and we have to get to know everyone.

Q: How has the University of Montana helped you adjust to Nicholls?
A: I brought the learning experience I had from Montana. There I learned how to balance my public and private life.

Q: What are your responsibilities as the president’s wife?
A: I manage our personal bills, and I supervise the two women who work at the house. I help plan the menu with Sodexho. I help the culinary arts department as well. I work on the board of the Jubilee. I also attend the sorority functions, and anything else that Mr. Hulbert goes to. There are no written requirements for the first lady. I basically help with whatever I want to. Everything I do is volunteer.

Q: What are your hobbies?
A: I like to work out and play bridge. I also like to organize the social events and any functions at the house. I love to travel and cook.

Q: What colleges did you attend?
A: I attended a private women’s college, Keuka, in New York, and the University of Massachusetts. I have a bachelor’s degree in math and science, and master’s in student affairs in counseling.

Q: What are you involved in the community?
A: I am on the local board for American Red Cross, work with the board for the new children’s museum, a member of the Jubilee, the Thibodaux Women’s Club (that raises money for Nicholls’ students), and a member of the Women’s Republican Club.

Q: What is your favorite part about being first lady?
A: The best part is meeting new people. I am able to entertain; I love to make people feel welcome in the house.

Q: What are the differences between the two campuses?
A: Montana was a lot smaller and more isolated. There were huge ranches all around. It has very different environment. At Nicholls, there is a closer society. Everyone here is basically from here.

Q: What are your most memorable moments?
A: After Steve was interviewed, he accepted it, and then it was announced. They had a reception for us. The warmth of the people made it feel very special to us.