‘Mr. Belding’ serves as grand marshal for Hercules parade

Dennis Haskins, better known as Mr. Belding from the 1990s hit television show “Saved by the Bell,” was the Krewe of Hercules’ Grand Marshal for their “Creatures of the Imagination” parade Friday in Houma.”I’m not only excited about being Grand Marshal for the Hercules parade, I’m honored,” Haskins said.

Though he has participated in parades before, including Christmas parades, The Love Ride motorcycle parade and Slippery Rock University’s 2004 homecoming parade, Haskins had never been to a Mardi Gras parade.

“I have not been to a Mardi Gras parade before. I’ve only seen them on television and heard rumors about them,” Haskins said. “I don’t think anything is going to compare to this though. This will be something I’m going to remember for the rest of my life.”

The Krewe of Hercules parade kicked off the parade season for Houma Friday night. “I want everybody to have a good time, and from what I understand, everybody always has a good time,” Haskins said prior to the parade. “I really don’t know what’s going to happen, so I’m going to have as much fun as everyone else seeing what’s going on.”

Haskins said he is honored to be a part of the first real celebration for the state of Louisiana since Hurricane Katrina.

“This is the big get-together where we can all say, ‘Okay, everybody made it through,'” Haskins said. There are a lot of terrific people here and a great spirit with the people in the state. We’re just going to go out and celebrate the people of Louisiana. It’s kind of like a rebirth.”

Since “Saved by the Bell,” Haskins has been giving lectures on college campuses, which he calls “Mr. Belding on Campus.”

According to Joey Edmonds Presents, Haskins’ agency, his lectures begin with a video introduction that includes the “Saved By The Bell” opening credits and theme song. Haskins immediately interacts with a student that has been chosen as his host and interviewer because he believes it is important to have the students involved throughout the show. The show consists of a question and answer session and a talk about the show.

Haskins is still acting, taking guest roles in shows such as “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia.”

“I’m still chasing roles. The producer of the movie ‘Hostel’ and I have been talking about me maybe doing ‘Hostel 2.’ My passion is to act; that’s what I love to do,” Haskins, whose first professional acting job was here in Louisiana, said.

Haskins, who was entertainment chairman of the University of Tennessee/Chattanooga and social chairman for his fraternity, Kappa Sigma, encourages students to not only go to class, but to step out and get the entire experience of being in college.

“There’s just so much more that you can get out of it other than just going to class,” Haskins said. “College is one of my favorite times of my life.