Editor shares tips on finding cheap food

I have learned a few things in the nearly six years I have been at Nicholls. The cleanest bathrooms are in the second floors of Talbot Hall and the library. Bollinger Memorial Student Union actually has a second floor. Giving Thysell a cheesecake just before finals can help your grade. Parking in a faculty spot on a rainy day will get you a ticket. And, actually showing up for class and taking notes is still the best way to improve your grade. But more than that, I have learned some creative ways to stretch my food dollar. I feel these are some of the most important things I have learned because they can carry on after graduation. Mass communication graduates are not historically known to be pulling big bank. I want to share my knowledge with the student body so you can learn from my experience.

There is one key ingredient that should be in every college student’s diet: ramen noodles. I have personally spent weeks, maybe even months, living off of this gift from the Orient. At about 35 cents a pop, it is hard to pass up. The preparation directions suggest the noodles should be heated with just a little water, but they can also be eaten straight out of the package when time is limited-crunchy. My personal favorite is an ingenious concoction I invented by adding eggs and a few chunks of spam; I call it college casserole.

Sometimes you do have to venture out of your apartment or dorm and eat something with a little more substance. The cafeteria is a great place to start. Meal plans may seem expensive at the beginning of the semester, but they will pay off. I promise the nice ladies in the cafeteria will not stop you from getting seconds or thirds or fourths. I have found one good fill-up stop a day is all I really need. Steak night comes around about once a month, so make sure not to miss it.

Eventually we all get tired of noodle soup and institutional food. It is time to head out into the world of fast food. Most local establishments like Burger King, McDonald’s and Wendy’s offer a wide selection on their dollar menus. A junior bacon cheeseburger and two orders of 99-cent chicken nuggets will fill up any drained student after a finals marathon session. If you can sneak a cup in, drinks are free.

The crŠme de la crŠme of fast food savings has got to be Taco Bell with its “Get Full Menu.” With item titles that begin with “1/2 pound” and “Double Decker,” the purchaser has to know he or she is going to get a stomachful.

The Bell also has the ultimate money saving option if you have a special someone, study buddy or just a hungry comrade. The Grande Meal (or as I call it, Mexican Heaven) offers 10 crunchy or soft tacos or bean burritos plus an order of Nachos BellGrande and a Mexican Pizza, all for $9.99. I now present you with a challenge: find a better use for a $10 bill.