Recovery fee an option in face of state deficit

Nicholls and other institutions in Louisiana are facing the possibility of adding a recovery fee to student fees as the result of budget deficit.The Governor’s budget for March 2007 was recently presented, and, according to Damian Breaux, Student Government Association president, once that goes through, the University will find out where “we are as far as higher education.”

According to Breaux, if there is a fee proposed by the system or state level with the Board of Regents, it will be because of budget shortfalls from the state. Health care and higher education are the only two budgets unprotected by the constitution.

This recovery fee has not been formally proposed as of yet, according to Breaux.

“It’s all a possibility,” Breaux said. “It’s mostly in discussion.”

Breaux said that the recovery fee will most likely not be added on to tuition because it would increase the costs of funding of the Tuition Opportunity Program for Students.

“If history serves us right, it’ll be a fee,” Breaux said. “TOPS isn’t affected by fees, so that’s the easiest route to go. There’s an 80-90 percent chance it’ll be a fee instead of a tuition hike.”

The recovery fee would vary by institution. According to Breaux, the extra amount that will be paid by students depends on the size of the institution and the number of students in attendance.

“We’re usually around the middle of the spectrum,” Breaux said.

This recovery fee would affect every publicly-funded school. That includes institutions in the University of Louisiana System, Louisiana State University System, Southern System and Louisiana Technical Community College System.

“I’m sure private institutions, such as in the New Orleans and Lake Charles area, will take a hit also,” Breaux said.

According to Breaux, the Governor’s budget may favor higher education.

“We’re not really sure right now,” Breaux said.

It is not uncommon for the state legislature to propose an increase in fees to begin in fall semesters.

An academic excellence fee of $10 per credit hour up to a maximum fee of $120 for 12 or more hours was made effective in the fall 2003 semester.

In the fall 2004 semester, an additional operational fee of $5 per credit hour up to a maximum fee of $60 for 12 or more hours was charged.