Geekly Weekly

Tim Schafer and Double Fine have made yet another great little game available for download on the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360 called Stacking.

Stacking is a puzzle game where you take on the role of Charlie Blackmore, the smallest of a family of stacking dolls. Your job is to solve puzzles to help get closer to rescuing each and every one of your brothers and sisters. His brothers and sisters have been taken away by the evil baron to use them for child labor.

What sets this game apart from others is that you have to jump into other dolls to make yourself bigger to solve certain puzzles. The catch is, you have to stack according to size and certain puzzles require you to use certain dolls to solve them.

Each doll you jump into has a certain ability. Abilities range from a fart, to a hug, to dancing and even sipping tea. It’s fun just to jump into each doll and see what their ability is!

Tim Schafer, creator of such games as Brutal Legend, Psychonauts, and the newest edition to the Double Fine family, Costume Quest has really made Stacking a treat to play.

You are given three different ways to solve each puzzle. This makes the game more fun. Solving each puzzle in three different ways allows you to see in a new perspective. The game also allows you three hints, just in case you get a little stumped.

Stacking is set in Venetian times and each doll and area you play in stays true to that era. The children being forced into child labor begin in the coalmines. Once you rescue the first batch of children, you can stack yourself into them and their ability is called “black lung cough.” When the button is pressed to complete the action, the child coughs and proceeds to spit out soot.

The game contains dark humor such as the example above, but all in all I think Tim and Double Fine have knocked this game out of the park. So far, I’ve only been able to play the demo. For a game as great as this though, I think I’ll pay the fee to download it from the PlayStation Network.

The game is $15 on PlayStation Network, and 1200 Microsoft points on the Xbox Live Network. I would definitely recommend purchasing this one if you have the extra money.

I give Stacking a 9 out of 10 for creative game play, cute and funny characters, dark but hilarious humor and great detail and graphics.