Poster Power

Sociology students present data at LSU conference

Three groups of sociology students attended the fifth annual undergraduate research conference hosted by Louisiana State University.
The conference features posters along with oral presentations given by undergraduate students in different topics such as technology, science, math, engineering and social sciences.
The Nicholls students conducted surveys to attain the data for their research projects. The finalized data was displayed on posters that were entered into the competition under the social sciences category.
The first group’s poster focused on levels of deviance within Nicholls students. The survey differentiated between positive deviance, sexual deviance, illicit drug use, suicide and life-threatening behavior. The surveys were administered to about 150 Nicholls students. The responses found that 15 percent out of about 110 female respondents reported being sexually assaulted.
The students agreed that this data was a bit shocking, given the small number of surveys taken.
About one third of the population admitted to positive deviance by participating in a boycott or protest. Under suicide and life-threatening behavior, 55 percent of respondents admitted to driving drunk in the past. Around 50 percent of the male and female populations admitted to using drugs in the past.
The students who participated in the survey were grateful for the opportunity to attend the conference because it exposed them to other research projects.
Students in the groups who are sociology majors also expressed the valuable learning experience they got from working on the project, comparing this research to possible projects for their careers.
Debra Moorhead, a Sociology instructor, encouraged all of her students to participate in the competition. She was very proud of the work that all of the groups did in such a short amount of time and the experience they gained from working together.
“One of the things that this class does is give them practice in oral speaking,” Moorhead said. “Because we push that so much in this class, I think it made them comfortable in speaking to the judges.”
The second group conducted research on oppression felt by student on the Nicholls and Fletcher campuses. Their poster displayed the most extreme types of oppression reflected by the survey. The group found that the topic was very relatable since everyone has been oppressed at one point or another. Students at the conference showed interest in the group’s poster, frequently stopping to ask questions.
The group encourages people to consider individualities before lumping groups of people together in a stereotype. They also believe their results point towards a need for further cultural education, crediting diversity classes such as SOCI 204: Cultural Diversity in America Society.  
All three groups agreed that the biggest struggles they faced were working within a short time frame, collecting data and trying to work with each other when everyone in the group had a different schedule.
Overall, they were all pleased with their final product and admitted that they learned more as they worked on the project than they would just learning about these topics in a classroom.
Moorhead was pleased with the different skills this project taught her students.
“I think the overall point of the project gave students a skill that they may not have been aware of prior to doing this kind of work,” she said. “I think it brings a kind of confidence to you when you are able to compete within the class and competing out of the class in a regional level, especially at a place like LSU.”
Although none of the groups placed in the competition, Moorhead was proud of their effort, saying, “I think that is pretty good for their first time, not having any idea of what the judges were looking for.”
Moorhead explained several opportunities this competition gave her students, saying it provided a venue in which to display their research, a competitive avenue to compare their work with others in similar standing, means in which to connect their classroom learning with research outside of the classroom, oral and written skill building, real-world team-building work and an avenue to spur further interest in a topic of their choosing.
Many of the students who participated in the Undergraduate Research Conference this year have shown interest in competing next year. Moorhead plans to continue encouraging her student to submit their research projects to the competition.