Chief named director of the year

Chief+Craig+Jaccuzzo+of+University+Police+and+P.O.+1+Heather+Boudreaux+view+live+footage+from+campus+security+cameras+on+Tuesday%2C+Jan.+24.+
Chief Craig Jaccuzzo of University Police and P.O. 1 Heather Boudreaux view live footage from campus security cameras on Tuesday, Jan. 24.

University Police Chief Craig Jaccuzzo was named the higher education Director of the Year by Campus Safety Magazine on April 4.

The award recognizes school, hospital, university directors of public safety, security police chiefs and emergency managers who go above and beyond their call of duty, demonstrating outstanding leadership skills, ingenuity, selflessness and overall achievement.

Jaccuzzo was acknowledged based on his many accomplishments with the police department. He secured a new facility with an updated communications system, uniform patrol fleet and standardized equipment. He secured more grant money than anyone in the history of the department and he authored legislation, which is now, requiring all sex offenders to register with campus police when they become university students, volunteers or employees.

“I think it is well deserved, he was responsible for turning the department around,” Steve Tullis, University Police Lieutenant said. “During his ten years as chief, he got the department several equipment upgrades, a building upgrade, better training and better resources.”

University Police Sergeant Gary Tullis nominated Jaccuzzo in at beginning of 2012. He was selected to receive the magazine’s top honor along with John DiNovo of Saratoga Hospital in Saratoga Springs, New York and Gerald Summers of the Evansville Vanderburgh School Corp. in Evansville, Ind.