Nicholls’ former first lady dies

Josephine and Vernon F. Galliano
Photo by: Ashley Falterman
Josephine and Vernon F. Galliano

Former Nicholls first lady Josephine “Jo” Galliano died Monday of pancreatic cancer, which she was diagnosed with in January. Galliano was the widow of former Nicholls president, Vernon Frederick Galliano who served from 1963 to 1983 and with whom she raised four sons.

“She was my caretaker, my friend and my mother,” Jonathan Galliano, one of her sons, said.

“We’re really grateful she didn’t suffer at all,” Vernon Galliano Jr. said.

Galliano, although a long-time resident of Lafourche Parish, was born into a hard-working family in Oklahoma during the Great Depression and Dust Bowl eras.

“Her mother would hang wet sacks in the windows to keep the dust out,” Vernon said.

The late Galliano first met her future husband when he was stationed in Oklahoma City teaching radar in the navy.

The red-haired, green-eyed, freckled Josephine was also doing her part in the war effort at the time.

She was a “Rosie the Riveter,” one of the 6 million women who aided the World War II effort by working in manufacturing plants.

“She worked seven days a week ’til she met my father,” Jonathan said. “Then she took Sundays off.”

In addition to raising four sons and hosting elaborate dinners for senators and governors, Galliano also found time to reach out to the Nicholls staff and faculty.

One such example comes from Shirley Coleman, friend of Galliano and retired Nicholls employee, who explained that Galliano helped encourage and inspire Coleman to start a black Mardi Gras krewe in Thibodaux.

“I was telling her that the black kids would cry because the white krewes wouldn’t throw to them, so she said, ‘Start a black one,'” Coleman said. “That’s when I started the Krewe of Ghana.”

Galliano enjoyed spending time with her family, especially out in nature.

“She sunburned easily, and she would wear a big sombrero-hat when she fished during the day – but she loved night fishing,” Gregory said.

Galliano was a proud mother and grandmother, often boasting about her only granddaughter, who is a doctor.

“I couldn’t ask for a better mother. Never could,” Vernon said. “(She) always took an interest in whatever we did.”

Galliano’s wake was Feb. 21 at Landry Funeral home, and her funeral was Feb. 22.