Anniversary of 9/11 brings back memories

A shell of what was once part of one of the twin towers of New York’s World Trade Center rises above the rubble that remains after both towers were destroyed in the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001.

On Sept. 11, 2001 at approximately 8:36 a.m., terrorists bombed the World Trade Center in New York City.  

Now, 10 years later, the United States of America will remember the lives of Americans who died that day, as well as the soldiers who are currently fighting abroad for our freedom.

Where were you on 9/11? 

Bradley Rivere, pre-med junior from Napoleonville, said,  “I was in Mrs. Blanchard’s class.  She was very patriotic and emotional as she explained to us what happened.  She had a son who was active in the military so that made it very heartbreaking and emotional for her.”

Lori Boudreaux, Administrative Assistant 2, said, “When 9/11 happened, I had just been recently hired for the University in former President Donald Ayo’s office.  My supervisor, Stephanie Calvalara, received a phone call telling her about the jets hitting the twin towers; she then went to the conference room and put on the television.  As we looked at the televisions, we were stunned.  There was a quietness that came over the entire building.  To me it was something totally unexpected. I just couldn’t believe that it really happened.”

Michael Boquet, general studies junior from Bourg, said, “I was watching TV from the living room, and as I was literally walking between the couch and the kitchen, I remember looking back and seeing the planes hit the World Trade Center.”

Brenda Haskins, Director of Auxiliary Services, said, “I was in the Student Union the morning of 9/11. I was just passing through the hallway and noticed how the students were holding each other and looking at the TV.  I remember being with the students the entire day and the crying and the hugging.  I will never ever forget that day.  To this day it makes me sad and angry as well as thankful to be in America.”